My Bass String Rattles.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Blue_Bass421, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Blue_Bass421

Mar 3, 2006
    I have a Squier P-Bass And the 4th String (top string) Rattles alot. Is there a way to stop this. Maybe by changing the sting, or my pickups or what.

I would appreciate any help I can get.
  2. OysterBoy

Sep 19, 2004
    Ontario, Canada
    The nut could be weak or hollowed (The plastic thing just before the headstock.), or the action on your "4th" string could be very low. Or, of course, it could be detuned way too much. Get a digital tuner and try tuning it to G. If it still rattles, take a look at the nut (plastic thing). If the part that your string has to through appears damaged then take a photo or take it into a music shop. And if neither of those is it, look at your bass from "profile" view (side) and see how high that string is from the frets. If it looks to be lower then the rest, that's the cause.

It could be more things, I'm just offering some advice from what I know. Good luck.
  3. im just curious as to if he meants the E or the G.....if its the E, it may be that the action is too low, and its just slapping the frets or something....
  4. Blue_Bass421

Mar 3, 2006
    The E string. The bass is only about 3 months old.

Thanks for the input.
  5. JansenW

Nov 14, 2005
    Cambridge, MA
    Is your E string de-tuned to a lower note?
  6. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Is it a different guage?

If so, it doesn't fit in the nut. A simple solution i did was put a little piece of paper into he nut slot. It cushions the string, and stops the rattling.
    Do this until you can get a new nut.

7. jaysun

Dec 24, 2005
    could always jsut get a new bass. it might be cheaper than fixing a squier:)
  8. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    On my bass if I don't wind the "A" string (4th) all the way down the tree post it rattels a bit. It needs the lower angel to provide more down force on the nut.

9. I agree here. Hope the string started at the top of the post and wound it downward near the bottom of the tuning post so it provides proper downward pressure on the string.
  10. Blue_Bass421

Mar 3, 2006
    Thanks for the input. However I was asking for useful tips. Not some sarcastic BS.:spit:
  11. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    Does anybody have a solution for when you cut the sting a little short and can not get the sting all the way down the tuning post?
    I made a mistake and need about 2 more wraps to get it all the down.
  12. dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    I had that problem on two different basses (a '65 Precision and an '83 Precision). I solved the problem on the '65 by making sure the string was wound as low as possible on the post. (What you said.) For the '83, I actually bought an additional string tree and screwed it into the headstock to handle the E and A strings. That definitely did the job!