Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bass Sucks

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Randy Ward, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

I am just posting this to get it off my chest.

In the past week I've been in positions to play some other DBs. It started on a hotel gig on Christmas Day. At the other end of the hotel was a trio, guys I didn't know, and played on a bass I had almost bought a couple of years ago. It was easy to play in tune, sounded big and I could play stuff I could never pull off on my bass in thumb position. Tuesday I went to a friends house to show off my new A.I. Focus lll 2R, and compare it with his iAMP800. I played his newish Czech carved flatback and his 60's Kay. I could play both of them with more facility and command than mine and my intonation was better than I've ever been able to do on mine. and again they just sounded great. Last night after an early gig I sat in with a jazz quartet and play a friends old beat German plywood, again the same results. And I don't think it's my imagination in each instance. (except the first as I'd never met them), my friends told me I was 'sounding really good.' I talked to the guy I study with and he said; "I think everything's been done to your bass that can be done, it's setup as good as it's going to get. Look at it this way" he said; "your kinda fighting what you've got and that's OK because it make's you really think about what you are doing, and it shows when you play a better bass. someday when you get a good bass it will have all paid off."

Somehow that wasn't much comfort. I'm just feeling frustrated and I know that 'good bass' is a long way off.

2. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    If you sell both basses in your profile you should be able to swing the LaScala, just put off the extension for later.

3. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    I realize that this is going to come off like meeting a friend at a dinner who tells you that he is distraught because his marriage is breaking up and saying in reply "You gonna eat those fries?" But, I can't help myself.

You ARE going to post a new thread on your A/B experience with the new AI and the iAmp800, AREN'T YOU?

4. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

keykendrick;
    You can have the fries but I already put mayo on 'em.

I want to get together with him again and use my bass before I post a thread. do I need to say more than my friend will probably sell his amp? He felt that it was easier/faster to get a workable tone (we went from small recording studio-big paneled living room -- outside patio) and it (focus) seemed to make less noise when run through his console and the iAmp800 does not have a ground lift on the D.I. which really irks him. I thought it was actually closer and really liked the iAmp800. But I like having two piezo friendly channels and light weight of the Focus. This was through his berg 1x12 with horn BTW. Unfortunately I was really messed up about his basses (should have brought mine) and couldn't get past that to really judge.

good point Ed. However I've thrown some money at the 'Kay in restoration' and it is still not ready to gig and I really need a beater ply for all this outdoor work I'm getting. After that I will save my nickels and dump the hybrid.

But thanks both of you for reading my miserable self indulgent musings.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Might I offer that there is the possibility that you're aren't emotionally involved in the other setups.

6. TroyK

TroyK Moderator Staff Member

Mar 14, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    My favorite kind.