Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass to be

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Skorzen, Apr 6, 2002.

1. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I have been planning on building a bass with the halp of my father who is a carpenter for awile. We were at a lumber yard today and i found this piece od Bubinga that I just could not pass up. :D
    I have a few questions for the people out there who have some expirence with this stuff. I was considering Making the neck out of Walnut and Maple I have heard that Walnut is very stable so I thought it would work well for this. The other question is what people thought would be a good wood for the rest of the body. I was considering using walnut also, but the weight might be a concern. Let me know your opinions criticisms and whatever else you feel like saying :D attached are a couple photos of the Bubinga they do not do it justice.

Thanks
    Skorzen

2. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    first photo the images got a little corrupted but you can still get the idea.

3. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    The picture seems funky....try reposting it, cus all i see is half a board of wood and then a bunch of digital nonsense.

Peace

4. If you are worried about weight I would suggest ash or alder. Though I do not know what kind of sound you are after so I really don't know what specifically might be a good choice for you.

Geoff

5. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    I don't know exactly the tone i am looking for I have an idea in my head, but don't know exactly how to relate it. I am looking for something that is not too bright, I don't want highs that will take your head off :D I don't want real low bass that becomes muddy either. I don't know if you get what I am saying or not it's hard to creat a sound with words:( I guess if I was going to use one word it would be articulated(sp?). I tried posting those photos several other ways but can not get rid of that weird corruption.

Ok thanks again
    Skorzen

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    the bubinga looks sweet! i believe Zon uses ash with bubinga a lot with excellent results- plus, as i always post, im a big fan of ash for a body wood- good luck!!- peace, Adrian

7. For what you listed I would suggest ash. It tends to be quite snappy without being harsh. It also tends to not be overly warm sounding. Swamp ash would probably be an excellent choice for what you are looking for. There are other woods that would work, walnut wouldn't necessarily be a bad choice to use, it is supposed to generally have well defined lows and clear highs. You could also experiment. My suggestion would be to post this in the Luthier Forum, you would probably get more responses.

Geoff

8. I have a Zon Sonus Special fretless with an ash body and bubinga top. I really dig the tone of it, and it's pretty light (especially compared to my Czech Spector!).

I would suggest checking the luthier's forum as well. Ash seems to be a pretty good candidate from what I get out of what you're looking for.

9. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
  10. Skorzen

Skorzen

Mar 15, 2002
    Springfield MA
    Thanks for the feedback I will look into the availability of Ash around here I know I can get Walnut for a good price locally, I will see about the ask too. I have an Ibanez ATK which I believe has an ash body and i really like the tone that i get out of that.

Skorzen