Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bass

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mandocaster, Dec 31, 2004.

1. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    I know this is kind of a goofy topic, but...

My bass has a label - "Handarbeit aus Mittenwald (Bayern) - Made in Germany". It is Gamba shaped, with a carved back and an E flat neck. The fellow I bought the bass from thought it was Circa 1900. The color is a medium brown similar to the color of the bass #2332 at Kolsteins. The shape looks identical as well.

Is it possible to estimate the age from clues on the label?

The main problem with it is there is a big crack in one of the lower ribs, with some displacement. There has been a lot of work done on that rib in the undetermined past.

I don't have any real topic, just gabbing about my bass.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Try showing a bunch of detailed pics of your Bass and it will be alot easier to make guesses.

3. FidgetStone

FidgetStone

Jun 30, 2002
    Allen, TX
    "Handarbeit" means hand-made for what that's worth.

4. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Here is the front

Attached Files:

5. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    back

Attached Files:

6. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    peghead

Attached Files:

7. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    and the neck FWIW

Attached Files:

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    This Bass is quite a bit younger than the one you refer to on Kolsteins 'site. Yours is one of the typical 20th Century German type Basses like the Wilfer's, Pfretchners and the like. Many are labelled Juzek, Morelli, Rubner etc.. There are more names than there are Shops. Many are assembled from outsourced parts. Some top and back plates machine carved and finished off by hand.

The one on Kolsteins has a Raised Neck block like the Tyrolean style Basses as well as other 19th century German production. Without seeing alot of Basses from the same exact shop and period it becomes hard to tell who made what. They just look so similar Bass to Bass.

If it says "made in Germany" written in English then you Know is was built as a commercial export. Looks like a good working Bass like so many players today use for Jazz and Comercial work and occassionally in an Orchestra setting.

9. mandocaster

mandocaster

Dec 24, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the reply.

I notice that the Morelli on your awesome website looks very similar except for the purfling on the back of the Morelli (absent on mine).

Finding the TB forum has inspired me to get it repaired and get active with it again.