1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Sippy, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Hey Guys, this is my bass. I know some of you can look at a bass and give damn near it's entire history. So If there are any clues in the pics as to where it was made and when. I'd appreciate it!! otherwise, enjoy :)

back.
    1b5fbf62.
    7ae40e0b.
    9675c86c.

2. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Ok, this Bass grew up in a small middle class family. It had to walk to school with only one wheel under it. It only went to high school because it couldn't afford college. It was a vegetarian and never ate meat!

3. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Your profile says you have a William Lewis & Son double bass. Is this it? What do you want to know that you don't already?

4. Nice bass. How does it sound?

5. armybass

armybass Gold Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2001

ROTFLMAO

:D

Mr Smith I had no idea you such a sense of humor. Bravo.:bassist:

6. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    BTW, where did you get the bass bro? In Florida? I used to live in Jacksonville and know several bassists in the area.

7. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Ok, let me work out this comp lingo.. 'rolling on the floor laughing my a__ off'.. ?? Was I close?

I wasn't sure about the exact diet so that part was a guess!:D

8. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

LOL that's awesome! I was actually looking for maybe the country of origin? or date? I can't find anything about these basses :( yes it is the William Lewis & son.

9. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Yea I contacted them.. they only keep records for 10 years and mine is older than that.

10. armybass

Jul 19, 2001
    Nailed it!;)

11. greene

greene

Dec 19, 2003
    New York City
    Ideal Music
    I don't think William Lewis & Son make anything except labels that they paste inside basses they buy most likely now in China and previously wherever they could find something decent with a low price ....

12. Well at least you know the country of Origin- It was assembled in Chicago! As far as date, It's anybody's guess. Judging fron the tuning peg Plates, there is really not a lot of buildup on there unless you just polished it, so I would doubt it was any more than 30- 40 years old. The important thing is, HOW DOES IT SOUND?

13. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    Kcorren! thanks I'm checking it out now!!

Also as for the sound! I impress EVERYBODY who hears it. I love this thing.

14. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    I would have to guess between 1960 and 1980. The gears look like Klusons made in Chicago (I think). They may have imported the Basses here and set them up in USA. I would guess either a German shop like Lang or a Czech shop like Strunal/Lidl. Something along those lines. I don't think China was in the picture at all back then. Green is most likely referring to current status with his opinion.

15. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    ohh okay thanks Ken. I'll be honest, I've owned it for about a week, and it's the first double I've ever owned, so I really can't play it too well. Those who do play them love my bass. Hopefully I can get somebody into my studio to record with it so you guys can judge. I'd be interested in hearing your comments.