Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My basses got a new little brother

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by geshel, Jun 15, 2003.

1. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Finally stopped dithering and got a Klein electric (guitar :) ) the other day. It's pretty nice. It really is the most natural, comfortable guitar (bass included, though of course it's got a severe advantage being all small and stuff) I've ever strapped on.

Sounds pretty good. You know, for something with skinny strings and all. ;)

Top-notch workmanship. With basses, I'd have a hard time spending this kind of money and not getting fancy woods and such. But there are so many things about this guitar that you just don't get with anything else, I think it was a good decision. Plus, it's got a rosewood neck which helps keep my fancy wood GAS at bay.

Pics to follow.

2. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The front. It's not really this orange/red in real life - more of a coppery color. I've got one pic with a flash that isn't so great but the color is closer.

[​IMG]

3. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The back.

[​IMG]

4. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    With big brother. It's so small! Kind of funny. You know, "klein". I used to know a family named Klein, they were all really tall. Anyway, I digress.

[​IMG]

5. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Finally - the real color is somewhere between this and the others - closer to this though.

[​IMG]

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Crikey did you really spend all that time thinking about it? Now that is one funky looking piece of guitar and I woulda snapped it up as soon as I saw it. Me like....... Me want bass that shape that sounds like a stingray......

7. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Sweet. What are the PUs, and how does it sound? And is that a Stenberger Trans Trem (the transposing lockable one) or the S trem?

8. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Oh, my.

Everyone here knows my predilection for headless, and Kleins give me a chubby. Too bad his basses don't use that same body style - it's a work of art!

Lucky boy!

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    The pickups are Seymour Duncan, that's about all I know. It sounds really good - I dusted off the old Digitec RP-7 yesterday and put it throught he QSC and my bass cabs (EA and Acme), sounded great. The EAs add a little midrange emphasis, could probably turn them down in back though. Anyway, I'm not experienced enough to tell much difference between pickups other than location and type. This thing has a million (well, ok, nine) sounds given the 5-way switch and dual coil taps (push-pull pots).

It's an S-Trem. I'm using New Standard Tuning on this, CGDAEG, and Trans-Trem really only works with standard tuning and certain gauges of strings. But that's OK as I'm not a realy tremolo type of guy - the S-Trem is perfect since it's so easily lockable. If I need it, it's there though.

Pete - I actually did snap this one up about as soon as it came on the market. Aside from a couple old Kleins (from the Steinberger days, with graphite necks) that went on Ebay for gobs of money, used ones are hard to find. So I was thinking all this time because I knew if I ordered one it'd be 10 months before I got it. Also, used was less of a risk resell-price wise. For a price reference, think Sadowsky.

Heh - I thought of you Ken and your Steinies. I'm really liking the headlessness on this one myself. On bass I prefer a headstock, though I certainly like some of the headless designs I've seen (mmm, Le Fay). It's too bad about the double-ball system though, you're limited to GHS, D'Addario, or Labella. And only Labella had the gauges I wanted (.052 on the low string). If I find one of those string-adapters on Ebay, or if they get them back in stock at MusicYo, I'll be buying one.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Oh yeah - the basses don't look quite as good, huh? It's function before form I'm pretty sure, I'd like to try one out sometime (there was one on Ebay a few months ago, went above my range though - was also kind of ugly, a bright blueish finish - but it did come with three necks too).

I'm kind of suprised there aren't any imitiations out there (yet). The whole copyright issue is pretty fuzzy with body shapes, but I'm guessing that Gibson owns the rights to this one, so probably people aren't very keen on messing with them.

11. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Too bad Rob at Status doesn't do geetar strings.

My SG-I serves me well, but I've been tempted by the Spirit guitars more than once - particularly the GU-7R Custom:

[​IMG]

And, have you seen the plan package out there for a Klein eleven-string harp guitar? For the $20, I've been tempted to pick up the plans and try to build my own body to fit a Moses neck - I have a few good friends that are killer woodworkers.

[​IMG]

12. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Michael Hedges had one of those, right?

13. I'm so used to bass so I must say this .... Where are the last three strings ;) ?

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I don't get it.