1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my bassman smells

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bassermaniac, Sep 6, 2008.

1. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    So my bassman 300 smells after 10 minutes of use.Is that worrying?It's not that bad but it's still a smell.I have to say that the amp is about a year old and i am using it seldom.also in my room temperature is quite high in summer.it doesn't smell like burned plastics or anything that is being burned bad but it's a bad smell.no visible smoke or any problem except that.
    what do you think?

2. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
  3. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    no it's not that sudden but it smells a little bit more nowdays.i can't compare cause it's the first summer i'm using it and as i said it's kinda hot here.
    hey thanks for the link anderbass

4. RikiTiki2

RikiTiki2

Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, Texas
    maybe a bug crawled in there and got zapped?

5. Sub5ound

Sub5ound Banned

Sep 6, 2008
    Catskills, New York
    What ever you do, don't take it into the shower with you;)

6. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    In my honest opinion, this amp benefits greatly from adding a fan for forced-air cooling. I easily installed one in my Bassman years ago & it eliminated that unsettling "a-little-too-warm" smell. While I know there are some TB'ers who will disagree with me (by fairly pointing out that the designers of the amp would have included a fan if it was necessary...), my amp stays a lot cooler now in hot environments.

I got an inexpensive 120v fan & tied it into the mains supply. I also wired on an on/off switch for when I'm in cooler environments & for studio use.

Again, I really think that a fan can be a big help in warm/hot operating environments!

7. tallboybass

tallboybass Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2003
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    "my bassman smells"

Oh, I thought this was going to be a thread started by an olfactorily sensitive guitar player....

8. bassermaniac

bassermaniac

Jun 30, 2007
    that's an interesting thought.but the important thing is that you had the same problem.I just wanted to know that my amp is normal.i can turn on the ac and things will be better.
    hey thanks

9. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    A lot of those weird smells are just electronic solvents and whatnot burning off. My Markbass combo used to smell funny, but as the stuff burned off it got less and less smelly.