Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My battery dies very quickly

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by DaS HaaS, Jan 5, 2005.

1. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    Endorsing Artist - Ampeg, Ernie Ball
    I have a Cort Curbow5, and my problem is that I end up replacing my batteries about every 3 weeks. Is this normal? I would assume that the batteries should last a little longer than 3 weeks. Any pointers or info on this would be greatly appreciated...thanks :bassist:

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You don't leave the cord plugged in to the bass when you're not playing, do you?

3. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Are you leaving the cable pluged in all the time ? cause that
    will drain the bat.

4. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    I dont leave the cable plugged in The bass just hangs on my wall and when I go to play it the batt is usually dead

5. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    There is a short inside that is making it think the jack is engaged. Get it to a tech, a two minute diagnosis and solder job.

6. DaS HaaS

DaS HaaS

Feb 11, 2004
    Sunrise, Florida
    thanks for the info

7. 555

Jun 21, 2003
    U.K
    Does leaving the cable plugged into the bass even when the amp is turned off still drain the battery???

8. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
  9. metallutca

metallutca

Dec 18, 2004
    Malaysia
    when your cable is plugged in, it will connect the +ve and -ve terminals. that will DRAIN the battery. before i figure this out, the battery inside my ESP drained in just 1 week!!

10. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

when I had basses with onboard preamps they lasted about 3 weeks, which at the time I didn't even know was a very short lifespan. What I did know was that, with a wall of active basses, it was time for rechargeables. They only last a matter of hours in playing time but with a $10 recharger you can recharge them 200 or so times. Plus you can use them in stomp boxes or anywhere around the house. The preamps are now gone and I never did wear out a rechargeable in the process and still have them.

Some of them a tad smaller than typically 9V which is a plus in a tight fit. You can get by on 7.2V 75 mA but 8.4v 160 mA or better is fairly optimal. 9v apparently refers to the rough size not the voltage. Typical alkalines are actually a tad over 10V when new. The radio shack charger also has a switch option for NI-cd and Ni-MH rechargeables.

11. ive got actives in both of my basses and i play every night for at least 2 hours and i havent changed a battery in years. Its been at least 2 years for my Tobias...3 months for my P-bass (it had been 2 years before that and it wasnt even dead i was just worried!)

12. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

yep, have heard similar accounts.

Another thing that can be done is to put a kill switch between the battery and circuitry. Assuming it's something draining the battery when it's not being used as opposed to consumption during use, that should resolve the issue. It would probably much quicker than tracking down the problem. Cheap and not a major opperation.

Seems you should be able to check dc voltage with meter with the bass unplugged and see if you get a reading. Not sure where, maybe running from jack to bridge. Somebody here will know. Then you'd know it's draining when unplugged. I wouldn't think one preamp would consume that much more than another during use but don't know much about.

Maybe even something in the way the jacks made since the jack acts as the switch. When I ran preamps, they all ran through the Ibanez style "tube" jacks, as opposed to the Fender-like jacks.