Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my battery

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by lesfleanut, Nov 3, 2001.

1. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    hi. i got my first active bass about a year ago and havent changed the battery yet.can anybody tell me some warning signs of a dying battery just so i know when the situation presents itself. thank you.

p.s. I didnt know where to put this so i stuck it in the pickups section feel free to move it

2. the volume usually starts to get lower gradually and it starts to add distortion.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    LesFleanut,

If you haven't changed your battery in a year, you're long overdue... I change mine about once every three months. -Depends on the amount time you play, but as little as a 3v drop (for 18v pickups), or just under 1v for 9v pickups will start to degrade the sound... it may start sounding a bit 'crushed'.

I've put together a short cable for testing the battery's output without having to take anything apart to remove the battery.

If you have access to and / or own a voltmeter - preferably digital - here's the instructions:
    -Get a TRS, "banana", plug, a 'double' or two single connectors that'll plug into your meter, and a short piece of 18g wire.

-Solder one wire to the contact for the 'sleeve' (the part of the plug closest to the base / contacts), and the other wire to the contact for the 'ring', (inbetween the tip and sleeve)

-The end of the wire attaches to the 'meter plugs' and viola', it's done.

Plug the TRS into your guitar jack and the plugs into your voltmeter. Set the meter to the 20v DC range and note the reading... if it's under 17v or 8.3v for 18 and 9 volt systems respectively, it's good indication to change out the battery....

michael s.

4. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    thanks. i got the bass used too so only god knows how old that thing is. im going to go change it now!!

5. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    i changed it. but i did the tounge(spelling???) test and its still going strong so ill pop it in my tuner

6. Newsted

Newsted

Jun 24, 2001
    Greece(athens)
    in my bass(jackson c4A)when the battery is off it stops playing

7. Ziggy

Ziggy

May 9, 2001
    Orange County, CA
    LesFleanut,

Not to criticize, but, 'tongue' is just one of the many words that makes the English language so difficult to learn...

As for the 'tongue' test, it only tells you if the battery in question has "any" voltage, not the amount. That test is still best left to a voltmeter... they're fairly inexpensive (as low as $10 - $12), and may be something to consider adding to your system.

michael s.

8. lesfleanut

lesfleanut Guest

Sep 25, 2001
    Syracuse N.Y.
    my dad has a voltomiter but its not like batterys cost that much so i find i easier to just put in a new battery. besides i put the old battery to good use in my tuner