1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My beater Peavey rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bolophonic, Jul 26, 2012.

1. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    A surprisingly cool tone can be created with this beast. I need to give it a re-furb. Both of these were jettisoned by band members at about the same time and made their way into my shop.

image-1066778192.

2. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    That's pretty neat. I personally like my Peavey stuff a lot

3. cableguy

cableguy Supporting Member

Jun 4, 2009
    North Bend, WA
    I'll bet they're still working in 20 years just the way they are today.......

4. Winfred

Winfred

Oct 21, 2011
    I love seeing old Peavey gear that's still in use. Reminds me of the days back when... I had a ton of it in the 80's, and I think the only thing that ever went wrong with any of it was a broken knob or two. Amazing.

Have fun!

5. Stev187

Stev187 Peavey MegaBass Club!

Jan 11, 2011
    Toledo, OH
    I leave this rig at the drummer's house. The Mega is my favorite bass head of all time (this is a beater I found for $100); it sits on top of an 1810, which is not something you want to move that often. Both are a little rough, but they sound great. And it's cool to have a backup of your favorite amp for the practice space!

--Steve

Attached Files:

6. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I like that a lot. Someone had that same cab in a practice space I played in. It never got moved.

7. Looks like 80s era gear judging by the logo and trim?

I still have my first amplifier, a Basic 40 from c.1985. Gets daily use for living room practice.

7388685828_b1701a9d20.

8. bstringrandy

bstringrandy Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2004
    Jacksonville, FL
    Here's my 74 215 cabinet and 75 400 series head. All original except the cabinet being recovered in Duratex. :)

image-4209740708.

Still thumping nicely!

9. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Good to see it in action, man. Can't go wrong with a Pile of Peavey. I still have a Tmax and a couple of Black Widows in use to this day. The BW's are in my PA cabs and the Tmax sees regular use. Actually, after last weekends meltdown, it's my main amp again. No complaints here, I really like that amp.

10. I'm not typically a fan of Peavy gear, but one thing I will say about them is that they sure can take a thrashing, and for a long time. They don't look particularly rugged, but they sure know how to handle a signal. I do like their guitar amps though, they saturate really nicely.

11. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    Wow all this Peavey stuff has me droolin..... Yep Peavey stuff is the Diesel equipment of the bass industry... not sexy but a beast when it comes to durability and volume. And, for the most part, American Made :)

12. pocketgroove

pocketgroove

Jun 28, 2010
    Detroit
    My VB-2 is such a beast that it actually vibrates when it's running, from all the power going through it. At least, I hope that's what it is, because there's no cooling fan...

13. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    A Peavey Basic 112 is my band practice amp and goes on every gig for a total band back-up, and I have a Minx 110 in each of the two practice spaces I use ...

14. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    The Special 130 was a beast! A double-powered Bandit. I've seen more blown drivers from these than any other Peavey amp because they were mostly bought by kids along with a DOD distortion pedal and subsequently cranked until their ears bled. I love 80's Peavey amps. They're like comfort food to me.

15. Peavey Mark VIII XP
    Peavey Classic 400
    Peavey IPR 1600

Can you see a pattern? I really dig my Peavey gear. I think describing it as "diesel equipment" is pretty accurate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. oerk

oerk

Oct 16, 2009
    Bavaria
    I have a Special 130, converted to a top. It's my backup bass amp. Works surprisingly well, with parametric mids and tons of power on tap (thanks to the overbuilt power supply).

17. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    My current main head. Sometimes I swap the MAX for a ProBass 1000 (pre from the MegaBass) for cleaner stuff. If I had more cash and room I'd have a ton of Peavey stuff. I just wish they'd get with the program and offer lightweight cabs and new preamps to go with the IPR's. I just can't do 100lb cabs anymore. And if they offered a micro head based on half of an IPR they'd clean up being one of very few micros that could do 2 ohms. Peavey, are you listening?

ipr-sm.

18. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

Nov 16, 2010
    SE Michigan
    I just picked up a Century 200H a couple weeks ago. Looks like it's never been played. Sounds great through my Avatar B212 (4 ohm), but I'd prefer to pick up an appropriate Peavey cab to use with it as a back-up/practice rig. I think the Century pushes 100W @ 4 ohms (300 peak). I was thinking of picking up an old 1x15 cab and loading a 15" neo into it in order to keep the weight down, but I'm pretty clueless when it comes to these kinds of things. I'd even consider a 2x10.

Any suggestions for a cab(s)?

IMAG0238.

19. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Two words for the old Peavey gear:
    Bullet Proof.

20. LowEZ

LowEZ Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2011
    Central NJ
    It won't be light (3/4" ply) and dropping Neos into it will undoubtedly make it sound awful. If it was me, I'd pick up an early 80's 1x15" if size is an issue, 2x15" if you have the space and muscle. Then there are the 1x18", 1810 and 1820 cabs (both 1x18 + 2x10) if you have a road crew. :)