1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Behringer EP2500 Power Amp STINKS!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tunaman, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Yup, it does.
    My channel 1 power control knob doesn't do much anymore. Even when the knob is at zero it sends the signal to the speakers & its pretty damn loud. The signal light goes on while im playing even on zero! If I turn the amp channel 1 power control from 0 to 26 its a little louder but not much... because at zero its already loud!!!

Channel 2 works right which is that zero power means no noise, no signal until I turn it up. When I turn channel 2 power from 0 to 26 the difference is huge.

I tried both stereo & parallel mode with the same results, used the same cables & interchanged them. Checked all my amp settings 10 times.

Bizarre its true... so let the you get what you pay for... Behringer stink comments fly but if anyone knows why the amp does this & if theres something to do about it please let me know!

Luckily I have QSC backup that I have to get back from a friend... maybe get another QSC as well.

2. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Well, I've never owned ANY Behringer gear. Heard way too many stories, like yours, to ever WANT to try any of it. Yet, younger players with limited funds keep buying it up, because it's priced so low. I always suggest to buy quality used gear, over brand new junk. Hope you get it all sorted.

3. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    Heres the funny thing:
    Using the signal input light (and my ears)

Channel 1 volume at 0 is exactly equal to that of Channel 2 volume at 20.

Channel 1 & channel 2 are exactly equal once they are both set at 30

Looking into a QSC RMX 2450 now with the rebates...
    http://www.hookedontronics.com/show_product_details.jsp?cid=8338&brandtype=727
    Plus $100 in rebates
    Dude thats $500 with free shipping & no tax!

The Behringer will go to P.A duty as it still works just channel 1 can't go below 20. Still if anyone has any idea on how to fix this, or what the hell is going on that would be swell!

4. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    The EP2500 is the only piece of Behringer gear I have ever owned, I use it to drive the P.A. subs. I bought it after a far bit of research and coming to the conclusion that most users were very happy with it although one or two had faults. Happily mine has been faultless so far and I have compared it with my QSC and can hear little, if any, difference. It is apparently pretty much a straight copy of the QSC design. Since I always run the power knobs up full I would never notice the problem you have. That said, if money was not a consideration I would always go for a QSC or Crest as first preference. Ultimately I suppose you get what you pay for, and the Behringer is way, way cheaper than the other brands.

5. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    The more pieces you own of substandard gear the more the entire system is plagued by the quality issues. The percentages add up until you have a whole PA which now has a high failure rate. The THD also adds up as was my experience with an earlier budget brand. Saving up for something good is a "foreign" concept in the US.:)

6. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    Got to agree with chadds.

7. Problem is a bad solder joint, broken pc board trace or defective resistor in the preamp section. Be happy it still sounds okay? Not many techs like to work on them (to many returns after you open the cases for unrelated problems).

8. Vakmere

Vakmere

Sep 6, 2007
    Philly
    It's a Behringer, did you expect quality?

9. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    Hence the expression "they're really not worth fixing" as the shop has the potential to fix other non related items during a standard repair. Our local authorized repair shop HATES them especialy the large consoles.

IMO, the older compressors and EQ's are way more reliable than the power amps.

10. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    The only reason I got the power amp was that I got a killer deal on 2 turbosound P.A speakers normally 1100 for 180 got the power amp just to have a full system. So that will be its only duty now... family function P.A. duty! It will be fine for that.
    What a big fall! I could see if I beat the thing up but its treated very well in its own independent rack since day 1.
    Thanks B String for the constructive comments.

11. Your welcome Tunaman! If it still sounds good, PA is a good use for it. Trying to repair it for the control fault may just cause it to become unreliable. They won't get much love here but if it still works.........enjoy it :D :bassist:

12. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi Tunaman.

Are you running your B in stereo or bridged mode?

Do you have its manual?

13. 3506string

3506string

Nov 18, 2004
    Lawton, OK
    My EP2500 has served me well over the last couple of years. Never shown any signs of quitting. You might have got one that somehow grazed by the air-tight quality control:rolleyes:

14. VisualShock

VisualShock

Feb 19, 2008
    North Wales
    It'll be a loose connection inside. just take it to a tech who knows a little about power amps!

15. Tunaman

Tunaman

Dec 26, 2004
    Boston
    I keep it in Stereo usually. I won't go to bridged mono mode because I just can't trust what power its going to put to the cab when I turn it on since it won't go to zero! I have the manual & it doesn't mention anything about this specific problem.

Visualshock- a loose connection? Hmm. Any details as to what & where it would be loose?

I'll probably temporarily use channel 2 in stereo mode 750W at 4 ohms to run my stuff for now. That will be fine but again I wont feel comfortable bridge mono with an amp thats gain is a minimum of 20 on channel 1 seeing thats 2400W at 4 ohms

16. my guess is that it says behringer on it.....:scowl:

17. well you can send it to me :D

that wont bother me much

18. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.
    If it's less than a year, Behringer has a replacement warranty.

Bad pots, loose connections happen. Can happen to any bass, pre-amp, or amp of any price. It's a little over reaction to say the whole amp stinks because of this little problem. You feed the Behringer bashers.

B-string has it right.
    But learn a little about fixing gear, you'll benefit in the long run.
    Unplug it. Take it apart. Put an ohm meter on the center wipe, and on one end then the other and you'll see the resistance change with moving the knob. Chances are the ground end of the pot isn't at ground, to allow it to lower the level. Take an ohm meter to one end of the pot to the other to ground. One should read 0, the other whatever the pot value is.
    I bet in your case, both readings are high.
    Simple things like taking a soldering iron and reheating the joint can restore the ground connection.
    In any case, your preamp can control the level. On power amps I use, I crank them anyhow so I know I have full control of the volume from the pre-amp. No re-adjusting power amps in the middle of a set.

19. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Wow, you were soooo helpful. :scowl:

OK, this is NOT going to be another Behringer bashing thread. Either help the OP or stay out. Anyone who wants to think they are smart or cute and post something like this again will get a little vacation. I hope that is perfectly clear.

20. Tim1

Tim1

Sep 9, 2005
    New Zealand
    I also purchased one of these for the students to use at my shcool as part of the performance P.A. It has been well and truly thrashed day in day out by teenagers of every musical persuasion, yet is still faultless. I guess if you get a good one hang on to it. IIRC the THD specs are better than on my QSC too.