Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Benavente SC Under Construction: New Body Style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pitbill, Jun 23, 2004.

1. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    After many months of the "long wait" of custom ordering (I'm sure many of you know what I mean)....I fanally got some first pics from Brian Barrett at The Lowend of how Chris Benavente has the body shaping up. It's gong to be a hybrid combination of the Benavente Single Cut "J" and "B" bodystyles.

This will have a buckeye burl top, mequite burl back, ebony fretboard, 13 piece neck-thru, and dual coils. And I'm sure Brian's electronics will make this sound just as good as it looks! This is my first true custom that I have actually had built for myself and I must say that Brian and Chris has really gone out of their way helping me and adding their own special touch "surprises" on this one to keep me happy! I think this one is going beyond what I was even expecting. I highly recommend checking out Benavente's or TheLowend.net (he has a very cool section there with customer order basses that will give some very good ideas on your next bass) website for any potential custom orders. I did quite a bit of shopping around before ordering this and these guys came up with a way to give me exactly what I wanted (and more) at a much cheaper cost than I had even budgeted.

Thought I'd share a few of the pics.

Here's a pic of the sanded body that shows the body's shape fairly nice...
    [​IMG]

Here's the body and neck with a little gloss...
    [​IMG]

And the back...
    [​IMG]

Thanks again Brian and Chris! :hyper:

2. teacherguy

teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Looks FANTASTIC!!!
    Can't wait to see it when it's finished!!!

I wish I could afford a bass by Chris but my money is going to feeding my baby, buying diapers and saving for her college or something like that (and I wouldn't change it for the world :) )

3. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    I like that!! IMO, it's a tad more pretty than the standard SC... kinda like a sleeker version of JP's zia :D
    Congrats!!

4. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    Great looking bass. You could have used that piece of mesquite for a top and it still would have looked "killer"!
    Congrats!!! ;) :hyper:

5. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
  6. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Thanks guys, I'm very excited about seeing this thing in person. It's so amazing when you can go from just a design in your imagination to seeing an actual piece of wood carved and shaped from the design concept. I know Brian has gone out of his way to help me design this with his photos and some tricks from the photo shop software.

Yeah JPJ; I don't which I like better, the front wood or the back wood.....LOL! Didn't mean to leave you out, I know you're big into the Benavente scene too! It's great to see dealers who get so involved with their customers like you and Brian.

7. beautiful!!
    nice shape!! I love the woods. Abalone inlays and buckeye burl look great together.
    I want to see it finished!

8. I really, really like that body shape.

Geoff

9. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I was struggling with what it would be... Brian has been telling me about it since the beginning. It looks killer! I dig the shape!

10. DEVILMAN

DEVILMAN

Nov 24, 2001
    New York,NY
    HOT DIGGITY!!!

~S~

11. Although I've liked all of his SC's, this is my all time favorite!
    Gorgeous bass.

12. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    That looks hot already,, wait until its finished! Only question I have is, whats the core made from?

13. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Ooops, sorry about that... forgot to mention the body core is mahogany.

14. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Here is a pic of the back of the neck....the laminates are a little different from what I was used to seeing from Chris and took me a day or so to get used to seeing it, but now I think it really adds to the uniqueness of this bass and I like it very much. It has a sort of "A' la Conklin" Multi-string look to it as Brian pointed out to me. A total surprise from Chris! :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    Nice. It's sort of a cross between the standard SC and this bass. (I wonder why we haven/t seen many of these made?)
    [​IMG]

16. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Yup JR, you're completley right. This was my original pic I photoshopped to convey my idea to Brian (top bass and bottom bass in the pic kind of "morphed" for the center one). He said him and Chris had discussed this idea already, but had never actually built one. Who knows, maybe this will catch on...;)

I think it is coming out much better than what I had even imagined with the pic.
    [​IMG]

17. pitbill

pitbill

Mar 27, 2003
    Bluefield, WV
    Here's a few updated pics I got yesterday: :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. rusty

rusty

Mar 29, 2004
    Singapore
    Nice!! I've always disliked blocked inlays but it looks sooooo good on your bass!! :)

19. Jaye

Jaye

Jan 30, 2004
    Portland, OR
    That thing looks crazy good. Congrats.

20. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com

New Body Style is coming together beautifully. I love the buckeye top and Mesquite Burl back. Can't wait to beat it up at NAMM this month :D