1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My best live tone in recent memory: Aguilar S410.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by pickles, Mar 25, 2006.

1. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stingray 5HH with DR high beams
    EBS Multicomp
    SWR SM-400 (original version)
    8 ohm Aguilar S410

This rig gave me the best tone I've had in the last few years. Incredible, smooth, deep, fat, with fantastic mids and highs. Absolute funk heaven, and handles low B with ease. The rig didn't miss a beat all night, even at volumes that I couldn't achieve with a PLX 1602 and a 4 ohm GS410. The fat sound of the cab meant I could run the head with a really dry tone, and didn't have to suck all of its power reserves boosting the lows.

I ran the bass and treble flat, used one click of aural enchancer, healthy boost around 200, moderate cut at 500hz and BINGO. Perfection.

2. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Try the Ray @ sw position 4. I run it with just a touch of everything @ the onboard EQ.

3. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I used positions 1,2,4, and 5 over the course of a diverse cover set. Position 1 on the chili peppers tunes, position 5 on a thumpy rockabililly tune and raggae, positions 2 and 4 when I'd normally use a Fender. :bassist: Its a ray, and so much more. IMO it doesn't do the Fender songs as well as my P or J would, but its pretty good, and its nice to not have to switch.

But what I'm really posting about is that S410 ... that little cab KILLS!!! I think I like it better than the GS410, and its so easy to move around!

4. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    The thing I love about the S 4x10 is that the B string "punches" rather than "booms" like it does with many other cabinets. And with a Stingray, I'm sure the punch is x 3.

I just recieved my second S 4x10 yesterday. They made a big production out of delivering this one as compared to my first one for some reason (i.e. they were originally going to bring it in as freight; they called to make sure someone would be home at the time of delivery; etc. They just dropped the first one off with Fedex like any other item). I didn't spend a lot of time with it. I just plugged it in to make sure the drivers all worked and that it was in phase with my other cabinet. I'll normally only take one cab to the club I'm playing at tonight, since it has a smaller stage, but I'm taking both just to try them out.

5. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Thats exactly right. Its got a balanced punchy growl no matter where on the neck I'm playing. With all the warmth, burp, and punch you could ever ask for without sounding honky or boxy. All of the other more expensive cabs I've been trying out seem clacky and stiff by comparison. The S410 is like a different take on the Goliath II tone, which I guess will always be a benchmark for me. The highs on the S410 are very smooth and crispy and really brought out great texture in the stingray's tone.

I will note that this was a rehershal in a garage, not a club, so that rear port could still spell trouble out there in the gigging world. So maybe "live" is the wrong word. But the S410 sure passed the rehersal test.

It also reminded me how much I like those old SWR heads. I've got a Rabe era SM-900 on the way to me now :hyper:

6. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    So im taking that my Sterling will sound pretty decent with a pair or a single cab of these with a Hartke 7000 Head? Nice. Done deal, ordering this week.

7. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The SWR only pushes 400 watts, the cab handles 500, so it could get even louder than it was running for me. You should only need one.

8. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Just got back from trying one at GC. Grabbed a US P-bass and a SVT-CL for basic reference tone.

Noticed right away the front grille was bent. Sounded ok at lower volume with relatively flat EQ. Started raising the volume and the tweeter began farting badly. Turned it off and it sounded ok, a bit honky but I was using a P-bass so that's to be expected. Added some bass and it died.

The S410 couldn't handle big bass or any volume from the SVT. As a matter of fact I think it may have had one blown woofer as well as the tweeter before I sat down. Oh well, dead Aggie.

Then I tried the GS212. Much better bass, not much else. Moved on to the GS410. About the same bottom as the GS212, but punchier and clearer with some actual mids. Best of the bunch IMO.

Then I moved on to the Mesa stuff. Tried a Powerhouse 1000 and a 6x10. This was a used older model 610, rear ported, and without the freq selector for the tweet. To my surprise, the 1000 actually sounded clearer than the 610. The 1000 had it all - it was the only cab of the day that had meaty mids along with punch and solid bottom.

Needless to say, I lost all interest in Aguilar and left the store. YMMV.

9. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    The 7000 is a stereo head, though, and won't do bridged mono

10. pickles

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Some jerk at the store blew up the S410 before you tried it and you blame aguilar? :eyebrow:

It sounds like the S410 you tried had been destroyed. I typically use 1000+ watts, and the S410 held its own just fine with 400.

11. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's exactly what I said, it was probably blown before I got there... I'll be happy to try it again if they get another one. But I also tried 2 other Aggies while I was there, and the Mesas ground them into dust.

12. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan

Aguilar is more about broad spectrum uncolored sound. Mesa is about straight ahead rock, with as much color as you can throw onto it.

So im assuming that you prefer cabinets with a bump from 60-100 hz due to small cabinet/port tuning? in that case, im sure you would love ampeg as well.

I need something versital, seeing as i will play country, r&b, top 40, and rock all in one evening and i dont want to be reaching for an eq to take out a nasty bump in the midbass all night long. Im not knocking mesa, they are killer, i have played through a mesa RR 410 and a bass 400 once, and it was amazing, but it would not be my "thing" for the kind of shows im currently doing, and abeit costing 5 times as much as an aguilar s410.

Also, since the s410 has a port on the back, corner loading/wall loading the cab will give it a totaly different sound. i know that without even trying it out.

13. bino

bino

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    FYI, there is a 4 ohm S410 still available at bestbassgear. I was close to buying, but not in the cards for me anytime soon.

14. I have a Hartke 7000, and you can switch it from stereo to mono with a push of a button on the back of the amp.

But I wanted to tell Pickles that I appreciate his post about the S410. I just picked one up a 4 ohm version a couple of weeks ago, and I agree with you totally. I'm driving it with a Thunderfunk TFB 550, and I'm digging it!