Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My best mate went to town today, and all i got was this amazing Ashdown mini rig!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Toasted, Sep 29, 2004.

1. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    [​IMG]

ABM-300 Head, Mini 4x8 cab.

I'm very impressed. The head is very versatile, whilst at the same time having a destinctive sound.

I'm not totally sold yet on the sub harmonic generator, but i wonder if that is because of the limitations of the cab. I'm LOVING the tube blend ("drive") as someone whose never used a tube preamp before I have always been dubious of its use - this thing is ace The EQ is really really versatile and i like the fact that when you turn the knobs/push the sliders there is a BIG difference in the sound. This thing is a real step up from my Electric Blue head - and the VU meter is really cool.

The cab is great sounding, a little heavier than i expected, but it does have 4 8 inch drivers in a little box. Which brings me to the best thing about this cab - its TINY! Big sound, small box. Excellent. The blue line drivers in this really move air, I'm shying away from the term "pant flapping" but its almost appropriate. The frequency response is good and in my opinion the lows and mids are far more articulated than with my old 2x10 combo.

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Nice! There's a real dearth of quality bass rigs this side of the atlantic - good to see another one come into action! :D

Alex

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Too true. Brands like EA / Mesa / Eden are just too expensive here.

(FYI: Academy of Sound in Manc did a pretty good deal for me)

4. very nice head there toasted. all you need is a 15" and your set, now thats a helluva sound!!! :smug:

5. Congrats! I´m a fan of Ashdown too, really good stuff for good price. I was actually going to go Ashdown route last spring myself, but then a couple of good EBS deals landed on my lap and I went all Swedish (admitting that takes a lot from a Finn! :D )...

I hear you, Euro-brothers, US stuff is painfully expensive here. Some brands seem to be pricier than others though. For example, Ampeg and Mesa Boogie cost ridiculous amounts of money, same goes for Music Man basses. Then again, stuff like Fender, Gallien&Krueger and SWR are almost reasonably priced.

Fortunately there´s a lot of good Euro gear out there, among them Ashdown!

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Indeed. Another European maker that leaves us Yank's wanting a piece of the action is Hevos. I did manage to pick up a second hand Hevos Midget, and it is incredibly impressive!

Good show on the mini Ashdown rig! I agree that by all accounts, if you add the Mini15, the combined effect is quite stunning.

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    It is, i played with the attached mini 15 in the shop.

But i just dont need the 15 in my rig right now. Maybe in the future when i start gigging more i will upgrade. :)

As it is here, this amp is perfect, small and loud. Which is excellent in my flat as it quite small and we already have a TD-8K drumkit in here :p

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    That's the beauty of the "modular" approach!

9. How is that 4x8? I want one to get more puch and shift more air with my 1x15 Mag 250. Would it be suitable? How much did it cost and where from?

10. Actually I've found that wattage for wattage/cab for cab in their high end stuff. SWR costs more than Ampeg does. You can get a Ampeg SVT-3 Pro and Ampeg 810E for less than a SWR 350X and a Megoliath. (Even though the Ampeg system would be pushing 100 more watts.)

11. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Great just as I decided not to get that exact same cab.

I Hate You

Don't suppose you tried it with a 5 string at all did you, I'm really tempted to part ex my hartke on one of those cabs.

Again I Hate You

Lovely rig nice to know there are 2 bassist in Manchester with abm's now.

p.s. How much was it if you don't mind me asking.

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I paid £932.

That was with price matching on the cab against Sounds Live in Newcastle on the cab - who are the cheapest by a long way at £369 :)

I really like the cab, unfortunatley i live in flats so i've not had the chance to crank it up yet, ill let you know when i do.

T*

13. Th9nker

Th9nker

Mar 18, 2002
    Looks great...

I just got the same head, still trying to decide which cab / cabs to get...

14. sweet...i am adoring my mini 10T i got from tombowlus...i don't know how my hambone bass (or I!) would survive without it! i have never heard better for the price!
    i was thinking about upgrading to the 4x8, but thats not for a while...

Charlie

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I'm glad that it's working out for you! :)

16. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    I wonder................
    how much of the price of us stuff abroad is due to tarriffs as opposed to shipping?
    likewise i wonder how much of the price of amps made outside of the us sold here in the state is due to tarriffs vs shipping?
    I'm not knocking any countries here, just wondering how these things go.................
    congrats on the rig, i never heard an ashdown 4x8 but i always liked the swr 4x8
    and yes, living in "the flats" as you say is a drag........ :mad:

17. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    When anything from anywhere that isnt in the EU comes into my the EU (or more specifically, the UK) there is a customs surcharge added, example 3% for "stringed musical instruments" or 35% on most types of anti-addiction drugs, after that has been added a fruther 17.5% Value Added Tax is added, which basically goes streight to the government.

Thats why most US stuff is so expensive in the UK, i assume its vice versa for none US product going into the US :)

18. Yeah, taxes, customs... the stuff doesn´t jump over the pond by itself, so that adds to the cost too. And the distributors want their share...

But as I said, I find it curious that some US brands seem to be even more expensive than others.

19. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    Thanks for mentioning that you tried the 1x15 in AOS I went there today and tried it, wow it's now on my GAS list infact it will be the next thing I buy they offered me a fair trade in value for my hartke but I'm sure Dawsons will match.

BTW while I was there I tried
    Yamaha BB EAST
    Yamaha BB2005
    Fender American V Standard
    Fender American V Deluxe

Not a bad shop really.

Speak to you later

20. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I do keep trying to catch you on MSN to have a chat mate, we jsut keep missing each other :)

The 1x15 does indeed sound tight. I bet it would really enhance the sound and tone of your ABM300 combo.

/edit: AOS is okay, if a bit over-priced. They have a good selection of SWR / Ampeg and a stock of basses that is alright. As with most UK music shops its a bit warwick/fender-centric but thas what sells i guess. Also; yhey had the price written on my head unit wrong, so i got it a bit cheap, like. :)