1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My best sounding bass amp is not really a bass amp.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have had a lot of mid priced bass amps over the last few years. Lately, I have been using an ART Tube EQ coupled with an ART TubePac into a Tapco J-800 power amp. This setup isn't very practical, the ART components aren't rackmounted (I have to carry them in a laptop bag.)

I tried this kooky rig against an SWR SM-400, Hartke 3500, and a GK 400RB. With all things as equal as possible (EQ flat, similar volume, etc.) the ART rig sounds much warmer and thicker than the others.

2. fireincairo

fireincairo

Jul 8, 2008
    Was that you who posted that rig in one of the threads? It does look kind of kooky, but I was really curious how it sounded. Those tube preamps come across nicely, huh? Do those have 12ax7 tubes in them? have you tried swapping tubes?

3. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I have swapped the original 12AX7's with Phillips JAN 12AU7's. I haven't posted pics of that particular rig yet.

4. dunamis

dunamis

Aug 2, 2004
    Charlotte
    I've used the ART stuff too (Tube PAC, Levelar, and Pro Channel, to be exact) with surprisingly good results. Some of the best tone-for-buck IMO.

5. bobcruz

bobcruz

Mar 10, 2004
    CA
    Ditto here. I've used the older one rack-space version, the ART Tube Channel, which combines the Tube EQ and PAC into a single rack mountable unit and it was excellent for bass. They're hard to find but well worth watching for. One of my favorite rigs is my ART Levelar into a Carvin T-100 tube power amp.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If it works, it works. Screw the masses!

7. Kuchar

Kuchar

May 31, 2006
    Michigan
    pics? :bag:

8. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The ART Tube Parametric EQ is hands-down the very best-sounding EQ I've ever used. I only sold mine because I was looking for a more surgical corrective uncolored EQ- but for tone, the ART is hard to beat.

9. Stinsok

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My first pre/power setup was a Sansamp BDDI into an ART Levelar.

10. rbonner

rbonner

Sep 25, 2008
    Who was it in the 60's Jim Croche or somebody who used to take a BOGEN 30 PA and take the 8 ohm output and drive the input of a Fender Showman to get a certain distortion he was looking for on a particular song. I've long forgotten but this reminds me of it. Our lead guitarist in my 1970- band tried it with our Bogen and his showman but just melted the tubes in his preamp. IF it works and does what you want, its your thing. Sometimes its cool to be the test pilot..... Sometimes you crash. You should figure out how to rack mount the stuff. There are a lot of rackmount cabinets that maybe the gear could be mounted ON-IN to get them in a rack. Makes setup and transport easier. BOB