Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My big Ibanez question...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by deathbloomslife, May 27, 2005.

1. ...Why does everyone always bash on Ibanez?? Sometimes I see/hear ppl bashing them even if they've never even played one!! Is is just the "in thing to do" right now? I honestly don't see much wrong with their line of instruments at all. :confused: :scowl: :eyebrow: :meh:

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, if you look around, you'll find people dissing everything from Fenders to Foderas sooner or later.

The thing with Ibanez, and a lot of production basses, is that they're very "hit or miss". I've played a few that sounded really good, but most, by far, were a "miss". It's just the nature of wood. Higher end basses have a lot higher "hit" ratio simply because the builders are more selective about the wood they use, and there is less skimping on electronics. I've played plenty of Fenders that weren't so hot as well, although in my experience Fender has a better hit to miss ratio than Ibanez.

Too many players seem to be willing to declare an entire brand junk based on playing one bass for a few minutes. All brands, even Sadowsky, Ken Smith, Fodera, etc. are going to at least have an occasional bass that is less than stellar.

The only way to avoid the natural variances of a natural material like wood is to use non-natural materials like carbon fiber composites, like Modulus, Zon, Status. etc., and then you have to decide whether or not you like the distinct characteristics of those materials, because they are going to be at least slightly different from wood. Composite materials produce a much more consistent bass, but you'll still find plenty of people who can't stand them as well.

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I'm one of the guys you can probably put at the top of that list.

I'm not sure what it is about Ibanez basses, but I can honestly say that anytime I've ever heard anyone use one of them live at a show, I couldn't hear the bass cutting through at all. I don't know what pros use them but I'm sure whichever ones do, they're modified. I've used them at rehearsals and they just sound cheap to me - used a pretty high end borrowed 5 string Ibanez just a few of weeks ago, and it honestly sounded like a toy in comparison to the 5 string Bongo I got a week later.

I think Ibanez basses feel and sound really good in a store, but as soon as they're thrown into a band situation - they lose everything. Just my opinion of course - and could very well have to do with the fact that I'm a fan of midrangy, burpy, deep and cutting bass.

On the flip side I owned an Ibanez guitar that I believe was the best guitar I ever owned - which included some very old gibsons and fenders. Just not a fan of their bass stuff - at all.

4. Like most production basses, the older stuff is better. Back when Ibanez was trying to break into the market, they made good stuff. Lawsuit era. I have a '79 roadster that totally rocks. I also have a '94 iceman that is not as good.
    BTW, you can get people to bag on anything if you try hard enough. The guys over at the double bass forums probably think we're a bunch of unwashed primates making noise over here.

Play what you want.

5. Mobay45

Mobay45 The artist formerly known as "Big Daddy"

Apr 28, 2004
    Irving, TX
    I have several nice basses including a Bongo, SR5 and a 55-02, but I was in GC the other day and picked up a Ibanez Roadgear RD505 and played around with it for about 20 minutes. I didn't buy that one since it was labeled as used, priced at $499 and I had not done any research at all on one of these. After I returned to my office, I looked them up on the internet and found that I could buy one for $447 from Same Day Music including two day shipping and no tax! It will be here today and I will have the opportunity to try it out at rehearsal tonight. I though it sounded great and the action was lower than any bass I've ever played with very little fret buzz. I don't think it will replace my Bongo as my main bass but I do think it might make an inexpensive back up bass.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada

+ 1

I honestly don't think the bashing is exclusive to Ibanez. I own an older Roadstar and construction wise couldn't do better with most American or Japanese made Fenders today..... I have also owned a 1990 something Ibanez sr300 DX that could cut throught any mix. I think that frequent bashing might be because some of the newer low-mid Ibanez models seem to lacking in overall quality. . I could be wrong but I have taken a close look at a few of the newer models and was not very impressed by the sound or construction ( Ibanez Iceman, SRX 400, RD line to name a few). Of course this is all subjective and no matter what bass you choose, if it is sturdy, playable and durable, you have made a good choice.

7. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I've got an Ibanez SRX 300 and it sounds very good live. It's not modified in any way except I put on TI Flats and a bit of foam muting under the strings at the bridge, which I do with all my basses. I use it in place of my old Fender P live and have recorded with it. It's every bit as nice sounding as the Fender, which I have modified a lot. It's lighter, better balanced and has a very easy playing neck. I've found that the SRX series is very consistant in sound, one bass to the next.

One of my students has an old Ibanez Roadstar P copy, also a very nice bass.

My step son has a new Ibanez guitar which he prefers over his Les Paul. He's not an amateur player and plays live regularly at fair sized venues. His bass player just bought an Ibanez. He also uses a Stingray and a G and L and says the Ibanez compares very favourably.

So, I just ignore the Ibanez bashers and bashers of other gear. Most of them have never played them, or don't know how to set an instrument up properly or have some strange idea of what a bass should sound like.

8. slickhare

slickhare

Feb 2, 2005
    i personally love the look of the of the icb200... i really wanna try one out

9. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Simply put... I've never played one that made me say "wow". I've played plenty of other basses (some cheaper, some more expensive) that delivered the "wow" factor in huge volumes, but not a single Ibanez. This isn't just the low end ones, I've experienced this lack of "wow" with the top-of-the-line versions of the BTB and SRX series basses. It just wasn't there I'm sorry to say.

10. I think it's because alot of people are, whether they mean to or not, comparing them to higher end stuff. That said, I prefer my SRX500 to a stingray, mainly due to the neck thickness I suppose. My example at least (and all the ones I played before I bought it) has some good quality fit and finish to it.

As for the band situation, it's always our rhythm guitarist who seems to get lost. I'm cutting through fine whatever settings I'm using on the EQ.

11. vene-nemesis

vene-nemesis Banned

Jul 17, 2003
    Bilbao España

Shhh :ninja: you got it, many pros and i mean those who play more than just root notes have modified their nowadays ibanez basses (like a guy whos got a nice dual MM humbucker ibanez with bart preamp you can see in ibanez artist page). I like the DW signature bass it comes with EMGs so you just have to change the preamp to a better one and youre done.

13. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Ya know, as much as I hate the things I have to confess that I saw this about a month ago and it's been giving me a bad case of gas since....

http://www.americanmusical.com/item--i-IBA-EDA900-SVF.html

Somebody PLEASE buy it, and put me out of my misery. I always loved the looks of those things and the fact that it's got a Piezo, but I know I'm never going to use it if I get it. When that bass came out I think it was like $700. Not sure, but it sure seems dirt cheap now.

There are also a lot of other good bass bargains here for those interested. Lotsa Ibanezes...

http://www.americanmusical.com/outlet--m-o.html

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    My experience is similar on both counts. Bought an Ibanez SRX500 that I had compared in the store to more expensive basses, and thought it sounded better. In a band situation or recording, it was a disaster, and thus began my exploration of bass tone, a.k.a. chronic GAS. One DiPinto and four Fenders later, I'm still afflicted! Recently I compared a new Ibanez neck through fiver with a much less expensive Dean, and the Dean blew it away.

But I've had an Ibanez guitar for 24 years, which sounds decent and is extremely well built. Every time I take it for a setup, it gets gushing compliments from the techs/luthiers.

15. Joe Nerve

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Bongo. Your affliction will be healed. :)

16. fozzy

fozzy

Jun 21, 2001
    Riga, Latvia, EU
    Exactly my thoughts...

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    This has been discussed before and the consensus was (and I think it was embellisher who said it) that at every price Point Ibanez has a bass, there's another brand that makes an equally good or superior instrument.

Of course, if you like Ibanez, play Ibanez.

18. Jerry Ziarko

Jerry Ziarko Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Back in "95" I decided to purchase my first five string. I found an Ibanez 1205 (maple body, rosewood neck through) The thing played like a dream, but the electronics left some to be desired, I knew I was going to use this bass to record, and it sounded great unamplified. Within a week I ripped out all of the electronics and put in 2 EMG soapbars (40 P5, and 40J) with a BTS preamp. Problem solved! Great sounding bass, quite as hell and super action. That bass became my mainstay for the next five years until it was moved to a back up roll. Just a few hrs ago I dropped it off at a local consignment shop. I did return the bass to stock though, and figured I would sell the electronics seperately. After recently playing a Cirrus, I now want that to become my #1, and my Q5 to be put in a back up roll. Now I just have to find the right Cirrus! So my answer would be, maybe some just never have found one they like yet. I was lucky and found a beaut! I owned a mint "66" P bass a few yrs back, that I bought stricktly as an investment. As far as playability went, I wouldn't have given $100 for it. Luckily for me, someone thought $2000 different! :hyper: Lessen here, there are good and bad instruments in ALL brands. By paying top dollar for high end brands, you should expect to see more quality in the workmanship and in the materials, but sometimes you find the same things for much, much less!!

19. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    I said it before but here it is again; my main bass for the last 13 years has been a Ibanez, it is IMOP one of the best sounding fives I have ever played. But, it and the other two Ibanezes I own are in the minority, most Ibanezes I have played I have not liked, especially any made after 95.