Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Big Mouth!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Lazy, Jun 22, 2001.

1. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    My guitar buddy won't be talking to me for awhile! He keeps dropping his bassists from his band because they like to turn their amps up a little louder, he's from the school of thought that metal bands should drown out the bass with layers of loud guitar! I finally lost it and told him that without the bass, you ain't got heavy and that if more guitarists had the balls, they'd give bass a try and see how "easy" it is! Guitarists and especially keyboardists seem to have this reputation for believing that they are the powers of the music world and songwriting for that matter. Bassists are not expendable(Metallica), so give us some credit where credit's due. There's a million guitarists in the musicians classifieds in my newspaper, but I don't see many bassists. Why? Because there's a shortage of good bassists out there. The majority of kids who take up the guitar wanna solo for 10 minutes to some girl in the front row. I'm guilty of this myself, but when I see a kid who wnats to stay in the back and lay down a groove, it's like a breath of fresh air!!

This post has no point to it I know! I just wanted to get it off my chest!

2. Hey, not ALL guitarists are like that. When I play guitar for my band, I turn down if Im too loud. The bass and guitar are at equal volume or the bass is louder.

3. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    I think he knows that, ghost of Nomadic Herder. Venting is good for your blood pressure. Stress causes heart disease, so it's good to let off steam by typing as opposed to with a bat or, God forbid, a gun.

edit: not that I think Lazy is about to "go postal" or anything.

4. B-Note Cowboy

B-Note Cowboy Guest

Jun 13, 2001
    Tulsa, OK
    I've never understood how guitarists can be offended at the volume of a complimentary instrument to their own. It's not like a lead guitarist wanting the rhythm guitar to be a little quieter or the keyboardest wanting the saxaphone player to drop it a notch until his solo... The rhythm section sets it up for everyone else! So unless you are just overplaying, which it doesn't sound like you are, your guitar player is the one with a problem.

5. I feel blessed to be in a band where they guitarists really appreciate me, and can't really play right without me.

Well...then again, for one thing 1 of the guitarists have a TERRIBLE sense of time, and another usually can't get the tempo right at the beginning, but can stick to whatever tempo he started at. Then the other guy...well, he's pretty good, but now he's drifting more towards vocals than guitar so it boils down to me having to keep time for them all.

As for the drummer...well, the guitarist that's drifting to vocals is half of the drummer in our band, and the guitarist who can keep time but can't get the tempo right at the beginning of a song is the other half of the drummer.

So...I guess I'm blessed to have bandmates who appreciate the role of the bass, but am cursed by bandmates who can't keep time. :p

6. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I dont know anybody ( personally) that can solo for 10 seconds because thay all suck, I almost bought a geetar, but couldnt stray from the wonderful sounds of bass and bought a nice "Jay Turser" instead.

applauds lazy!!!!!

7. Lazy

Lazy

May 30, 2001
    Vancouver BC
    Snowblind, I wanted to get a Jay Turser Stingray copy but wasn't sure if it was a dependable brand, how does yours play?

P.S. Thanx for the support guys and the positive feedback. And I didn't want to stereotype all guitarists!

8. sn0wblind

sn0wblind

Apr 20, 2000
    Ontario, Canada
    I like it, it works for me, it has real nice tones. I dont know what kind of Jay turser it is but I love it.

9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Check this out http://www.bgra.net/reviews/jay-turser-musicman--1-rvw.html

Hope it helps.