Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Big Muff has stagefright!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Feb 20, 2003.

1. The last two gigs I've played (saturday and yesterday) my Big Muff (russian) crapped out. The first night it was allright at soundcheck, but failed on me when we played. Same problem yesterday only it didn't work at soundcheck either. The funny thing is that the day after both nights, I've checked it, and it works fine. The bypass sound is fine (it wouldn't be if the battery was flat, or if the cables were damaged, right? (Btw. I checked with other cables as well)) and when I turn it on the led lights up like it should, but there's no sound at all. I've checked the settings and tried replacing cables and as I said it works fine in other situations. What could be the problem?
    :confused:

2. FunkyJ

FunkyJ

Jan 31, 2003
    Tracy, CA
    Sounds like the battery is going out. Whenever stomp boxes act weird, it's usually the battery. If you have the ac adapter try it with that. Change the battery and use chords that you KNOW work.

If that doesn't work, you can try cracking it open. If you haven't done this a lot, you might ask a friend who has to help you out. Check for any loose wires and pay attention to how it comes apart so you can get it back together. If you see some wires that are loose or not connected that will be your problem.

Let me know how that goes and I can try to give you some more advice. (I've fixed a few stomp boxes before.)

3. degroove

degroove

Jun 5, 2002
    Wilmington, DE
    I find ALWAYS double checking how I hooked it up is important. Too many times in an effects loop I got the "ins" and "out" mixed up.

4. Thanks guys! I'll try what you said. Problem is that it works fine in bypass mode. It wouldn't if the battery was dead, right? And I really don't understand why it works fine off stage, both in bypass and effect-mode... Guess I'll have to fiddle around with it, see if the problem becomes more apparent.

5. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    If it works in bypass but not otherwise, you got dem cords backwards :D I had one of these and I did that all the time.

6. If that turns out to be the problem, I won't post it! ;) :oops: :rolleyes:

7. Weeeellll.... :oops: ... I've tested it, and it's true that mixing up the in and out plugs will let the sound through in bypassmode, but cut the sound out in effectsmode. That's probally what I've done on stage two times now... how lame :D
    I'll go hide now :bag: