My big muff, should I pay to get it modded?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Jun 9, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I got a $50 dollar GC credit for my birthday about 2 months ago, so I picked up a russian big muff. I plugged it in, turned it on, started playing (duh, what else was i going to do? make a sandwitch?). it sounded good, but I wasn't getting the Matt Sharp sound I was shooting for. I was going to return it, as it took out alot of the lows and just plain sucked switched off, which eliminated any use I was going to have for it. I think Robert Keeley, who lives 20 minutes away from me, could mod it for like $20.

I can either: Return the big muff, and buy some crap that I don't need. (strings or a 3" strap that I crave)

Pay to get the bass/true bypass mod.

And I'm torn between the two desicions.

Has anyone ever used a modded big muff? Did it sound good?
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

There are certainly some very rude answers to these questions (maybe only if you are British?) but I am too polite to repeat them here!! ;)
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've heard a lot of good things about Keeley's mods.
    20 $ is not much to be satisfied with a pedal.
  4. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Yes, go ahead, please. As if my mom hasn't given me enough trouble with the word "Big Muff" already! "A big muff pedal? Why, that's nasty sounding!" "How is that nasty?" "Muff is what they call a girl's pubic hair!" "Uhh, well it IS a fuzz pedal, mom!" "That's terrible, Chuck".
  5. C'mon Bruce - don't be shy! I understand that the late Mrs Wallace Simpson had an operation done which involved taking a tuck here and a nip there - no idea how successful it was - although there was a rumour that the late King George VI was heard to make inquiries about getting one for his wifey (Queen Mum) - never heard anything about the success of that either, although she did live to the ripe old age of 100+ (not bad for someone who never did a single stroke of honest work in her whole life...)

- Wil
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My big muff, should I pay to get it modded?

Dunno. But think about us poor folks who don't have a Big Muff to mod.
  7. i was thinking of putting a second footswitch on my muff... don't know how to properly describe what i want it to do. it would be a "non-clicking" switch, so it's only on when you're pressing it.

everyone looks, and says "why?"

trust me, i could use it.
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    With a name like 3 crotch grabs, you know its good. Actually one of those switches wouldn't be too bad, kinda like one of the Morley wahs that only turn on when stepped on then release when you step off. I can see that working!
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    what exactly is this mod?? What does it entail. Anyone know?
  10. A true by-pass mod makes it so when the effect is turned off, the dry signal doesnt have to go all the way through the circuit boards and everything to get to the other end, which sometimes sucks out some of the sound. Instead, when the pedal is turned off, the input and output jacks are patched together, and the pedal is essentially 'invisible' to the chain. Id throw down 20 bucks to get a big russian muff modded...:oops:
  11. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    True bypass mods are great, but keep in mind that it doesn't change the effects tone, it only makes a difference when the effect is off. It won't improve bass response that is sucked away when the effect is on.
  12. dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    If you don't like the tone I'd return it and find a ProCo Rat. If I remember correctly, its what Matt used on Pinkterton anyway, so it should be able to pull off his sound... and its true-bypass:ninja:. There's a few different ones out there now, my friend has a Vintage Rat which sounds great, but there's also a new Juggarnaut Rat which is designed especially for bass. Check out the other kinds too -->