1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my biggest gig for this year!!

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by rbolanos, Sep 29, 2008.

1. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Well, I just wanted to share this great experience with all of you. This past weekend , a worlwide known salsa band came to Toronto . Son de Cali straight from Colombia, and a week and half ago they called me up to offer me the gig. their bass player and a trombon player coulnd't make the commitment. so they called ME!!:hyper:
    they sent the music charts to get ready, cause there was going to be no rehearsal..:eek: so I worked my ass off to be as ready as If an athlete would be ready for the Olympics..
    to make the story as short as possible. WE rocked the house! there were over 3,000 people at one of the most pretigiuos clubs in Toronto.
    I felt like if I was playing in automatic mode, everything clicked, there was "swing" all over it. with the help of the Musical Director, I was able to get the "new shots" that were not on the charts, so , I had to learn them fairly quick, if you know what I mean.
    I played an Azola ampeg baby bass and the Yamaha TRBJP2 in amber. both of these instruments were the stars, they sounded amazing.
    anyhow, I have sold and bought a few basses and stuff in this beautiful website, so I just wanted to share one of my greatest experiences.
    The band members were really happy with my job, and I fell so honoured to play with this guys.
    here are a couple of pics and short video
    I can't get enough of it.....:bassist:

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=Up7yTWltkO0

http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=AJhBw_vKq7Q&feature=related

there are more...

To say the least a lifetime memory.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

2. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    a couple of more shots

Attached Files:

3. mournblade

mournblade Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2006
    Roanoke, TX
    Awesome and congrats man!

4. That sounds like every Salsa gig!;)

Nice gig Man. Is that at Sound Academy? Looks like it in the pics.

5. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Yes!
    you do know your clubs man,
    It used to be called the Docks
    great club and sound!
    thanks

6. Cool. Great playing as well Sir!

7. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    I would love to have seen this gig and you playing on it. I just started playing with a Latin band. Lots of fun but lots to learn .

8. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    PS How did they find you?

9. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Hey Steve,
    oh man, I was so close to bring my new toy SKB3006, but I didn't have enough time to get used to it. But, I would have loved to play it.
    I have been involved in the latin scene here for a quite a few years now, so I guess I was kind of recommended. and of course paying the organizer a fee does help....just kidding!!
    thanks man
    RB

10. ghiadub

ghiadub Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2006
    Auburn, CA
    Ruddy, that looks like a lot of fun. Congrats on the awesome gig!

11. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Hey man!!!
    You're standing the same place Stanley Clarke stood when I saw SMV a few weeks ago!!

None the less, I'm gonna have to move this thread to performance stories :):hyper::hyper:

12. Steve Clark

Steve Clark

Jan 9, 2004
    London ON
    Let me know when your playing in Toronto with a latin band. I'd like to hear other players. I'm doing lots of listening and can hold my own. Maybe I should take some lessons from you.

13. jmaestro

jmaestro

Feb 13, 2008
    Florida
    Good job man! Those cats sure know how to put on a show. That place was jam packed.

14. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    Hey Steve,
    I will be playing this Saturday in London, I will give all details later on, but I think it's a private function, I will find out anyways. I will be bringing the new member of the family for sure!!
    maybe we can hook up then
    take care man and thanks for the kind words.
    Ruddy

15. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada

Thanks Mark, sorry I was not quite sure where to put the ad.
    and standing at the same spot as SK its an ever bigger honor.
    Gracias!

16. rbolanos

rbolanos

Apr 13, 2006
    Ontario,Canada
    THANK YOU for letting me buy your bass. its amazing.
    now that's what I call punch!!!!
    RB