My biggest mistery about setup

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by RiverFunk, Sep 2, 2004.

1. What are all adjustments that can be done that will change the stiffness of an individual string on a bass, after it's been setup as a whole?

On most of the basses I owned some strings often had a too different feel and sound from the rest, at times making me look for another bass. Now I depend on a SX Jazz that I stringed BEAD for a specific purpose, but the strings feel and sound very inconsistent. B is very dull, E is dull, A is very stiff, D is normal. Can't this be fixed? (by myself, no need to give $$ to a half-caring luthier?) How can I trace the problem to a specific part of the bass?

Thanks, Pedro
  2. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The "specific part" would be the strings--if the tension is inconsistent, you need to try a different brand/guage.

3. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Change the strings.

AFAIK, the only place to scource strings with equal tension is Greg Holmes at GHservices, in the Niagara area.

If you refer to tone, you could strike lucky by changing strings, but probably, most of it is in the construction of the bass. The backbone....(see my site, Bassic Physics) (is that unlawful promotion at TB?)
  4. Thanks, checking that out. I'm refering to tone and feel.. I believe it's in the construction, I got a new set of Ernie Ball strings in there. However construction is too general a word :eyebrow:
  5. Do string guides in the headstock tighten strings that run under them? (I think so from experiments.) If so, is the height of the string guide proportional to how tight the string will feel? Or the distance from the nut? Thanks!
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    No. It just changes the break angle at the nute, otherwise there'd be slipping if you didn't have a string guide on a flat headstock.