1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My biggest pet peeve with just about any bass I've ever played

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MMcC, Apr 11, 2009.

1. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    Noisy bridges. It started 15 years ago with my MIM Fender P. I'd be asking myself, "What's causing that?" And I never got an answer. Is it the springs? Is it the screws that connect the saddles to the bridge? Is it the small set screws that you adjust for string height? Is it saddle to saddle noise?

I've never figured it out and I've never found the solution. 15 years later, MIA American Standard Jazz, bridge noise. I play a note, hear the buzz, poke around at different parts of the bridge, and repeat.

AAAGGGHGHHHHHHH

2. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    How do you know for sure it was the bridge? If you are so sure, how come you can't chase and isolate the problem? On MIA fedners, check the tuning machines. They work their way loose and cause all kinds of vibration without being noticeable.

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Confusing. What are you doing?

4. lawsonman

lawsonman

Dec 19, 2005
    NW IL
    I've never heard a noisy bridge in my entire life. And I'm old!:)

5. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    WHAT? Never? It's just rattling. And I explained why I can't isolate the problem. I can tell it's the bridge/saddles and not the tuners just by where the noise is coming from.

6. Mad Russian

Mad Russian

Aug 25, 2008
    Raleigh, NC
    I occasionally hear the same noise. I think it may be the springs.

7. Of all the aftermarket bridges out there--and I have tried them all--the Hipshot Vintage bent plate is extremely stable, has the same barrel size as the oem and features the quick string change option. It's a direct drop-in for Fender MIMs, and works best with the J-bass (I have a Gotoh on my P). It looks good, sings like the original, and is dead quiet and easy to intonate. I got mine at www.bassresource.com. Give it a try!

8. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I've had bridge problems with guitars (can anybody say Floyd Rose?! or the piece of crap Fender passes off as a Stratocaster bridge) but never with a bass. I'm probably less experienced than most though, I've only owned two ATK's, a MIM Jazz, and a MIM P.

9. SamanthaCay

SamanthaCay Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2008
    Denver, CO.
    If the bridge it self is rattling it’s very simple to fix. just make sure all the springs are long enough and the saddle height screws are tight against the bridge plate. also if this bass is stock and has never been messed with it’s not the bridge. if the rattle is only on the e and/or the a it’s because your not getting good tension over the nut. if this is the case you can usually rewind the string so that it comes off the tunning post closer to the headstock thus eliminating the problem. could also be the truss rod is loose but I doubt it. can you show us a pic of the bridge. oh yeah and it could also be something is lose in side the control cavity.

10. MMcC

MMcC

Sep 10, 2005
    Dallas
    #7 I'll look at that bridge, but I'm not too interested in modding this one.

#8 I hate Floyd Roses, too.

#9 Thanks for the input, but I'm not posting a pic of my bridge.

11. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Makes no sense at all to me. I have 10 basses and none of their bridges have made noise. I've NEVER tried out or owned a bass that made noise from the bridge.

If a bridge did make noise, it would only be the work of a few seconds to press on each piece and find the problem, and it would only take a few minutes to stretch a spring - tighten a screw - or add polish or Loctite to a loose set screw.

Whatever you're hearing, IMO either it's your imagination or it's not the bridge.

12. Never heard any kind of bridge noise on any bass I've ever played.

13. OP, I've has some simliar problems. Though mine wasn't the bridge or the tuners... or on a Fender but on my cheapo bass when I play the TRUSS ROD VIBRATES like hell. I might have derailed a little but as Pilgrim said, it might not be your bridge.

14. i had this problem with my first bass, then decided to have a wee poke about and it turned out to be one of the springs, tightened it and never made a noise since :)

15. funkybass4ever

funkybass4ever

Dec 12, 2007
    I have had many basses and worked on some of them ( replacing bridges etc) and I have never had that problem.
    Are your pickups secured well to the wood? I am thinking it may be your bridge pickup is vibrating if it is loose. Take some time and tighten everything. Have you looked under your bridge?Is your bridge flat against the wood?

16. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    Lost count long ago of how many basses over almost 40 years. 0 bridge noises.

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I know what you mean, that noise comes from my SX every once in awhile. It's a very faint buzzing, not a harsh rattle. However, it is barely audible in the first place, and when amplified I can never hear it.

18. I've had bridge noise, so OP isn't the only one. My guess is the string vibrations cause the springs to resonate, even if they're tight.

19. elBandito

elBandito

Dec 3, 2008
    Rotten Apple
    To the OP, that's what I meant by chasing down the problem, if you were so sure it was the bridge. On my MIA jazz, the tuners came loose, since they're held on by the nut on the headstock, unlike old school tuners fastened by screws on the back. When you wind the string, the strings rubs counter clockwise on the nut, eventually working them loose over time.

20. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Same here. I have 22 basses now, and have owned many more over the last 30 years, but I've never had a bridge make noise.