Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Birthday Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Juniorkimbrough, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    Well yesterday was my birthday, so I thought I'd go out and buy myself a nice little b-day present. Left the house with three stores in mind...Taylor's Music Store was first on my list, then a local Lakland dealer, then Guitar Center. I went looking for a sunburst P-bass with a tort. pickguard, luckily the first place had exactly what I was looking for.

Taylor Music is a nice little mom and pop store that always has a large selection of used and vintage instruments and amps, they carry very few new instruments. I bought my Hwy. 1 Jazz at this place on my birthday last year, this may be a tradition I need to continue. :D Well as soon as I walked in the door, there it was on the wall calling my name.

I picked up the bass and the neck and the action on it were perfect, it was actually lower than my Jazz with no fret buzz at all and it already had a nice used set of flats on it, it's just like it was meant to be...EXACTLY what I went looking for. I sat around for a little while playing it and inspecting it from top to bottom, aside from the dings here and there, the belt buckle rash and a small corner of the headstock being glued back on it looked pretty good.

Well I ended up taking it home with me. I paid $650 for it, which seemed like a pretty fair price especially considering how well it played. I looked up the serial number and it's a '84-'87 MIJ Precision. The guitar store owner told me a guy who owns a studio in Nashville brought it in on consignment. He'd been using it in his studio, from the looks, for quite a while. It's supposedly been recorded on quite a few albums and I can totally understand why.

Here are a few pictures to prove it does exist. :hyper:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can't wait to use it on our NYE gig this weekend!! :D :D :D

2. Nice! I've had GAS for a passive P-Bass recently... :help:

3. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    sorry about those huge pictures, i fixed where you can just open the link.

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Many happy returns. I just wanted to know if that was a wear spot on the back of the bass or a camera glitch. I only ask because the front of the body and neck look mint.

5. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Yes, the back is some major belt buckle rash...those Nashville guys and their big belt buckles :scowl:

If you'll look at the pic of the headstock at the bottom of the "F" you can see where part of it was broke off then glued back on.

6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    No biggie....I'll bet it sounds great.

7. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

Nice find, Enjoy!

George

8. g00eY

g00eY

Sep 17, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    nice! congrats on the buy, and happy birthday!

9. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
  10. TheMightyQuinn

TheMightyQuinn

Dec 26, 2005
    Minnesota
    It looks really classy. Plus, it sounds like it has some history behind it. Sweet find!

11. happy b-day!
    i think you gotta' nice bass, at a nice price. it looks great!!
    :cool:

12. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    damn thats a nice bass!!! maybe my sunburst p-bass needs a tort pickguard now.. hehe

13. Collin.A

Collin.A

Jun 22, 2005
    Nice classic look, I dig it.

14. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks guys! Yea it has that classic look that I really like, and the tone is to die for.

I've been playing it non stop for the past couple of days, I think I've realized that the E string is just about dead. I hate to have to put a new set of flats on it because it plays so well right now, with fingerpick style you can't really tell so much that the string is dead but once you start playing it with a pick you can tell. Other than that I'm having to raising the bridge saddles up a bit on the A and D string because when I dig in a bit it buzzes at the 1st and 2nd fret. After that this thing will be perfect, it's just one of those basses that is "the one".

15. ooh thats nice... - I don't usually go for sunburst and tortoise - but sunburst and RED tort? - much better looking than a normal brown tort...you got a right beauty there my man!

oh yeah... any soundclips?

16. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    I've been off work all week and was just thinking about recording some sound clips of all my basses since I've been doing nothing but relaxing all week.

I'll try and get some up later this afternoon or tommorrow.

17. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    I offer you the deepest compliment I can....

I want one!

18. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
  19. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Happy Birthday , enjoy. :bassist:

20. Juniorkimbrough

Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Thanks!

Let me know if those sound clips aren't working, I can't get them to play on my computer but I think it may be because my soundcard just died on me.