1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

my black sabbath tribute band "rat salad" playing into the void

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Clouz, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola

Jan 26, 2013

Deezer Butler and tangentmusic like this.
  2. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    2012 Gibson Explorer using .125's tuned to C# and going direct into a heritage svt with no effects. this was recorded on a phone so be easy on the crappy audio comments.

3. OldDirtyBassist

OldDirtyBassist

Mar 13, 2014
    There was a band in the early 70's named Rat Salad that did Sabbath tunes. They later changed their name to Van Halen.

tangentmusic likes this.
  4. Tubby's is my band's hometown stage. Great room, but I have to ask; did the club try to weasel it's way out of paying you? They have a reputation for that.

marko138 likes this.
  5. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    You guys have the sound down! Great Cover of a great tune.

If I may, I'd like to offer a couple suggestions.

When I see this vid I think "good band playing Sabbath well".

I don't think Tribute Band. Why?

The look. You guys have the song nailed but not the look.
    Half the fun of a true Tribute Band is their look. If they look like the band their portraying, the illusion becomes complete. When I walk into a tribute show I want to see what I'm hearing. If I'm standing at a distance, I want to think I'm seeing the real deal.

The guitarist looks a lot like Tony (will forgive the right-handedness) and plays an SG like him, but needs to dress more like him. You don't look much like Geezer. You could if you wore a wig of long brown hair and dressed like he did during that period.
    You need to play Basses like he did back in the day. A Precision, Acrylic Dan Armstrong (like in the Vol 4 pics) or a Ric like in the later '70's. Or each for specific tunes. The singer doesn't look much like Ozzy. Again, a wig (or grow out his hair) would help. He's got the fringed shirt, which helps, but needs to develop the look. The drummer looks enough like Bill.

Another aspect of a good tribute band is the mannerisms. Act like the guy your portraying. This would be especially true for your "Ozzy". I didn't see any peace signs or jumping about out of him on the vid. Those are Ozzy trademark mannerisms. He needs to "be" Ozzy.

Tribute bands are quite popular, and can be in demand and make some good bread if they have the entire show down.

I have some friends in a Beatles tribute band called Rain. They really nail the look and mannerisms as well as the music.
    That's what a tribute band should do.
    I love Sabbath. If I came to your show to see a Sabbath tribute, this is what I would expect. Anything less (to me) would just be a good band doing some awesome Sabbath tunes.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  6. FerK

FerK Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2011
    Switzerland
    Beyond the semantics of whether they are a "true" tribute band, I think cover-wise it's spectacular. I like Sabbath (actually I have tickets to see them Friday 20th here in Z├╝rich), but I'm no big fan. If it wasn't for the singer's voice pitch (not identical to Ozzy's), I would have trouble saying if it's Sabbath playing it live or not. :bassist:

7. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    we are working on the look and mannerisms as time allows. i plan on getting a wig and we fired the singer after this gig and hired a younger more enthusiastic young man. also i do have a precision bass in 3 tone sunburst with geezer EMG pick ups but i use it for the standard tuned stuff. i plan on getting another for the C# stuff. we'll get it very soon and thank you for the comments people.

tangentmusic likes this.
  8. Arvin

Arvin Underwound Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    On the bench
    Awesome.

9. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    So don't change your name to Van Halen--they might sue you.

10. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Go 3ID!

11. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    sounds great! One of my fave Sabbath songs, and currently the ringtone on my phone

12. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    PS- crappy phone recording or not ... sounds like you're hitting all the right notes & it sounds f'ing amazing!!!

13. tangentmusic

tangentmusic A figment of our exaggeration

Aug 17, 2007
    Reno/Tahoe
    Then your tribute band will be even more awesome and a cool visual experience too.

14. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Nice!

Stupid criticism: You guys need a bigger/better banner. One that isn't white.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  15. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    That would've been my recommendation.

Not very Ozzy-like.

16. so, they find an excuse not to pay you?

17. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    The lack of response leads me to believe they did.

DwaynieAD likes this.
  18. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    we did it for free if you must know. i could care less about getting paid to do something i love doing. money is the icing on the cake. we played with two other bands.

19. Clouz

Jan 26, 2013
    also, that is an oil painting our singer did on the spur of the moment. we have a large vinyl banner.

20. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Classic Tubbys.