Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Blue Heaven... Bass Central style

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by b15fliptop, Apr 2, 2004.

1. b15fliptop

b15fliptop Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Or more specifically, my new "Blue Dawn" Sterling!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These pic's don't do it justice, but hopefully you'll get the idea. I drove up to Bass Central yesterday (awesome, awesome store - more on that later), and played everything in the place that even remotely interested me, including, but not limited to: Lakland Skyline Joe Osborne, Bob Glaub and 44-02 Deluxe, MM Bongo, couple of Dingwall Afterburner's (WOW! That is definitely my next purchase!), etc.

Ogled a bunch of other amazing stuff, but didn't feel the need to torture myself by falling in love with anything out of my immediate price range. Anyway, I don't feel I compromised at all with the Sterling. It's an amazing bass, and IMO smoked everything except that freakin' Dingwall. I actually had to leave for awhile to make a decision, but couldn't be happier (unless I'd picked up the Dingwall too :p ).

Now back to BC. If I ever get the kind of service I experienced there again, I will be shocked! Beaver, Grasshopper, Gard, Perry and I believe his name was Ron (help me out here Gard) were a dream to deal with, and about as enthusiastic about their products as your likely to find anywhere. These guys kept saying stuff like "pull up a chair and sit down, man" when I was kneeling in front of an amp. Once I'd decided on the Sterling, they proceeded to pull out no fewer than six of them in different finishes without prompting from me. Even after I was perfectly happy with one, they'd say "have you seen the (insert finish here) yet? You gotta check this out!"

What more can I say? Great bass, great store, great service. I will be back again and again and again...

2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Cool Bass, Bass Central is in Orlando, right. Long drive from Fort Meyers (I used to live in the Buckingham/Lehigh Area) 4 hours+ right?

I met the bassist from the Edgar Winter Group last night and he played a Lakland JO USA and his tone was awesome and nice guy to. Did you play the USA or the Skyline?

3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Whoops I reread your post. nevermind my question.

4. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Yep, right around 4 hours. Worth the trip, in case my first post didn't make that obvious ;)

I really wanted to like the Lakland's man, but for some reason they just didn't blow up my skirt. I imagine the US's are killer, but I'd heard so much good stuff about the Skyline's that I expected to dig it alot more. Maybe my expectations were TOO high.

When did you live in the area? I'm one of the few natives (actually 5th generation), so there's a good chance we know some of the same folks. Back in my high school days (mid to late '80s) I gigged regularly in Lehigh in a band called "Roller", which you may or may not remember.

5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Nope don't recognize the band because I lived there from birth the about 13 and I am almost 19 now.

My folks lived in Florida all their lives, though not in Ft. Myers. In fact I dont know exactly what made them settle there.

When I tell people that I am a Floridian transplanted in Mississippi they always ask where in Fl and to this day nobody has heard of Ft Myers. (Closest somebody recognized was Sanibel Island)

Though I don't think anybody from MS has ever been past Destin. :D

6. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    1. Nice bass. Those finishes are discontinued, which continually amazes me - they look great, don't they?

2. Gard and Beaver are exceptionally good guys and wouldn't you like to just hang around in that store for a week or so?

3. I'm from MS, I've been past Destin. In fact, I've been to Machu Picchu!

Good score. I don't have a Sterling right now, but there's always at least one being considered.

7. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Where about in MS? I am in the Brandon/Jackson area.

I was just generalizing that the majority of people that I know around here visit Destin.

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats the hottest Music Man Ive ever seen.

Peace
    Nick

9. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    you know it's dangerous to have that bass in here.........it could melt all this stuff.....

10. Bayou_Brawler

Bayou_Brawler The most hurtful thing ever realized

Oct 23, 2003
    Ann Arbor, MI
    oh my lord that is a pretty thang

11. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Thanks, guys. Glad to hear I'm not the only one diggin' it. :)

And bovine, yeah, I'm thinking about looking for an apartment in the BC area. Anyone wanna split the rent? ;)

12. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    Very nice bass you´ve got yourself there! =)

And the things you write about BC is so annoying, because I live in Sweden, and here we don´t even have an all bass-store in the country. Please Bass Central, open a store in Sweden! =)

13. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    That is the nicest Pacific Blue Burst I have ever seen. I had a Blue Dawn for a while, but it had a maple fretboard and I like rosewood. I don't feel bad as I have two others and they are all I play. Nice catch! Sterlings rule!

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brian - Hey man!!!

That's actually not Blue Dawn, it's Pacific Blue Burst, you looked at and almost bought the last Blue Dawn/Rosewood, but I made you check the Pacific Blue Burst out first...

I'm a bad bad man...

:hyper:

The cat you couldn't remember is Doug, good guy, very helpful, newest guy at the shop...kinda...he's been a customer and our IT helper for years now, and he's now here as an "official" employee.

The Dingwalls are indeed utterly amazing, how about Perry's custom? Damn that thing is killer...sounds amazing! I'm with ya, I've got an ABII-6 on my "short list" of "must have" basses.

abark - I can tell you're not a native Mississippian, you can spell....I KID!!! ;) (hiya Jack-san!!! :p)

Jack - If you hang out more than 4 hours, we put you to work, keep that in mind (mind you, not on the payroll though!!! ;) ). Is Machu Picchu anywhere near Kiln? I think I drove through there once...

Nick - That is by far my favorite EB/MM finish, EVER. Brian ain't kiddin' the bass is far more stunning in person!

Indigo - We'd open a store over there, but the damn commute would be insane! ;)

15. The Urbs

The Urbs

Feb 23, 2004
    MA
    I might have to do a roadtrip down the Bass Central HQ for some test rides!

Nice bass man, that Sterling is simply amazing looking in that color! :cool:

16. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Hey Gard, Im in Gainesville now and if it werent for the $35 bus ticket to Orlando Id be over there next weekend.

Im working on bringing my car from Miami up here durring the summer so Ill make a trip over there as soon as that happens.

Peace
    Nick

17. b15fliptop

Feb 17, 2004
    Florida
    Hey Gard!

Thanks for chiming in. You guys showed me so many different finishes I couldn't keep them all straight! :p

Doug!!! That's right! Don't tell him I forgot his name, he was super cool, but with all those basses hanging around me I got a contact buzz... :eek:

Perry's Dingwall was awesome, and it was ultra cool of him to let me check it out, but I didn't want to press my luck by plugging it in! If I'd waited for a custom Dingwall for a year I doubt I'd let anyone touch it the day it came in!

OK, I gotta stop gushing about BC or they're gonna take out a restraining order on me...

:bag:

18. Sweet bass b15fliptop! That color is gorgeous.

Bass Central is real cool. It’s great just to see all that stuff in one place. It’s about an hour and a half from me and I’ve been there pretty frequently in the recent weeks. Those guys have probably had enough of me but they are good dudes to do business with!

Everything in this pic came from there...

[​IMG]

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brian - I can dig the "sensory overload" experience. Every now and then, I walk in by myself in the morning and think "Holy $h!t, look at all this cool stuff!!!!". Then everything goes whacky with the phone, e-mails, stuff coming in and going out, helping customers on the floor (my favorite part!), and you lose sight of the beauty of the basses. Doug doesn't offend very easily, but I'll keep it to myself that you forgot his name...hell, I forget names constantly, so I can relate!

It's very quiet today (I'm actually working alone the past hour or so!), and I'm sitting here, just admiring the view...

:)

...by the way, Perry put the order in for his Dingwall in November, so he didn't wait a YEAR! ;) He just likes to whine...

(He'll read that later, and I'll pay for it! ;) )

Don't worry about the restraining order, you are far from being a candidate for that! (Trust me, there ARE candidates....:p)

JEFF!!! - I didn't know you were a TBer!!! How's that iAmp800 workin' out? I think you made the right choice, mo powa is mo betta! ;) Always good to have you stop in man, don't be a stranger!!!

20. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    "If you hang out more than 4 hours, we put you to work, keep that in mind"

Hey Gard, we're buying a big house in Dallas. Don't you guys need a location in Dallas? Guitar Center is all there is up that way and we all know what I might say but I won't.

"Is Machu Picchu anywhere near Kiln? I think I drove through there once..."

No, man, Machu Picchu is just north of Lumberton.