Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my body broke

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dr_love2112, Jul 13, 2005.

1. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    i have a jazz bass and starting at the neck mount pocket there is a crack all the way thru my body to a little past the neck pickup. is this ok??? how can i fix it???

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You are going to want someone to look at this. This could be a finish crack, or it could be a crack in the wood.

3. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    CRACK IN THE WOOD!!!!!!! :bawl:

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Is there any way you could take some high resolution pictures of it?

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

any crack at the neckheel joint is not a good thing but it may not be anything of significance or anything you can do much about for the time being. You might email some of luthiers (like Hambone) in the luthier forum just to get some idea.

But Jaco busted one of his basses into a pile of kindling and they glued and filled that thing back together and reportedly it played and sounded just like it did before.

6. It would be really really hard to get any glue in there without first exploiting the crack by prying it a bit more open....no surefire way to stabilise it. Superglue has really good capillary action for such things, but only goes so far. Even when introduced via syringe.

If you cannot stabilize and repair the whole crack, there's a danger that subsequent strikes to the body could continue the crack past the "repair". Then you're back to square one.

SOMETIMES it's easier to break it completely and then repair. But seeing it's in the neck pocket area, oy veh. :meh: That's alot of area to "break" and you can never be sure it'll be a clean break. I had the whole lower horn ccrack off a koa strat body once and that was easy, it broke clean.

Best of luck on this.

7. dr_love2112

dr_love2112

May 28, 2005
    baytown texas
    sorry cant really take any pics, but i was going to refinish it and i sat the projest to the side and boom i saw the crack, but good thing is it hasnt grown yet. so im just gonna put some super glue in it and forget about it.