Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my body...wood

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by furiously funky, Apr 8, 2003.

1. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    sorry, this is probably a commonly asked question, but where cpuld i find a company that would sell me a peice of mahogony for a bass body?
    also figured maple (prob. same places)
    hope i get some help thanks :)

Jbchop likes this.
  2. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    gallery hardwoods will set you up if you don't have anyplace local.

galleryhardwoods.com

3. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    I'll second Gallery Hardwoods.

Larry is a great guy, he knowledgeable and his prices are great.

4. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i got this flame for my
    bass from Larry.

5. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    Larry is definitely the guy to talk with :D

peace, JP

6. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

If you want to to limit your shopping to your country, you might try this webpage that will find dealers for a particular specie you're loooking for. It will even search by the Canadian province of your choice - http://woodfinder.com/

If US dealers are okay www.gilmerwood.com is another dealer who has loads of figured mahogany, especially in their "Unique and One of a Kind" section. Seems they have a lot of mahogany this month with something they call "plum pudding" figure and even "quilted plum pudding."

7. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Be warned that Gilmer is in a... moist... part of the country. What they consider dry and what we you consider dry might be different. You may or may not get wood that is significantly wetter than what you want to start working with. If you do decide to go with Gilmer, make sure they will be sending you wood that won't require months of drying.

8. rickbass

Matt - Where is that dis coming from :confused:

Oregon is home to some of the finest wood dealers in the USA, (e.g., Burlwood, Exotic Burl, Pacific Coast Woods, Woodcrafters, Cascadia Forest Goods, Goby Walnut, among many others). Situated in the forests of the US Northwest and close to Canada's forests, Oregon's ports handle so many millions of board feet of wood annuallyl it makes sense to locate there. It's not like they leave wood setting on the docks in the rain.

IME, Gilmer is UNUSUALLY HARSH in their wood grading. If grain runout or something else is an issue, they will tell you up-front. They don't use lighting or oils to make their woods appear artificiallly better than they really are. They have a division of their company devoted to superb musical instrument woods and use accepted drying processes that are equal to anyone's, AFAIK.

If you know differently, please say so. But, hell, Gilmer is good enough for bass luthiers such as David Minnieweather -

[​IMG]

9. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I don't think that was much of a dis at all. They do have a lot of really nice looking figured woods. I have no doubt that their wood ends up on many very fine instruments.

And of course a lot good wood comes out of Oregon, but it is a damp climate. Someone whose opinions on wood I respect purchased some figured maple from Gilmer. It curled up after resawing and their response to his complaint was as my previous post: Oregon has a higher ambient humidity than New England and thus he should have allowed for further seasoning before cutting wood.

I don't think it is harsh to pass this advice along to prospective customers. Any time you buy wood mail order it may come wetter than you expected, especially if you don't make it clear what you expect. Caveat emptor.

10. rickbass

Wah-wah-wee-wah!!! I'd be mucho ticked-off it that happened, too! I wonder if your colleague handled it diplomatically or didn't contact Myles or Marc Culbertson personally to raise a stink?

One of the boards I bought from them was high-grade cocobolo. They told me up front, repeatedly, it had an arch in it. They said if it was too severe, I could return it and they would pay shipping. As it turned out, the arch was barely noticeable.

11. check out www.exotic-woods.com . they're in burlington, ontario. i bought wood from them for a neck i'm working on. good supply, very helpful guys. the only thing that may get in the way is that i don't know for a fact if they ship, but it's worth asking. i remember when i was there (well, almost a year ago now) they had some mahogany body blanks ready to go, and i guarantee they have figured maple in all shapes and sizes. send them an email to see if they can help you out.

edit: just checked, and yes they do ship. it's on the 'about us' page for some reason.......

12. FBB Custom

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    I'm pretty certain he would have gone to the top. I don't know how diplomatically he (or Gilmer) handled it but I do not believe he got his money back. He had already resawn the stuff, that makes a tremendous difference in these matters.

It seems like Gilmer has their share of satisfied customers.