Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., May 28, 2005.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

My heart wants to get out of my chest... five months waiting and it's finally here... a MM Bongo 5 string... lava pearl... white ice pickguard... Double humbucker plus piezo bridge... MusicMan hard case included... it's beautiful... it's incredible... I'm going to buy a new strap and a gig bag right now... gonna take some pictures in the afternoon for you fellow TalkBassers to meet my new baby... gonna write a review and compare it with my Carvin... :D :D :bassist: :hyper: [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
  2. CaNaDaRoCkSoY

May 9, 2005
    Congrats, how much did that lay you back?
  3. ryco

Apr 24, 2005
    Excellent!! I think a new amp is in order to complete your outfit! Congrats!!
  4. Congratulations!!! y muchas felicidades!!!

Pictures please!!! :bassist: :bassist: :bassist:
  5. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Congrats! That must have been a real "dolor en el extremo" to get in your country!
  6. CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain

Espero que lo disfrutes y no olvides las fotos "si no hay fotos del bajo, entonces no existe" :rolleyes:
  7. Congrats ! Can't wait for your review + pics

Besides...i understand more spanish than i thought. :D
  8. bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Es la verdad.

Glad to hear that you finally made it happen. Pero necesitamos las fotos, ?no?
  9. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    Felicidades...congratulation boy..y de donde es el/ de Puerto Rico? :confused:
  10. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
  11. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Well, I hired a guy with a good digital camera because I don't have one, but I didn't like the pictures. He said that the light conditions in my place don't help. Anyway, here are some:

And here's one of the whole family:

Now, trying to answer some questions:

-CaNaDaRoCkSoY: I'm not sure if I understood your question right. Is it about the price? Anyway, it costed 1450 USD plus around 90 USD in shipping expenses. I was lucky. I'll explain it below.

-HeavyDuty: "Dolor en el culo" ("culo" is kinda swearword here, but not in Spain, so it's OK). Not really! I bought the bass through Consolidated Music in Miami. I was really worried because the instrument was supposed to be ready like three weeks ago, but the guy who I dealt with told me that they were in debt with EBMM (like $5000 or something like that) and that the factory wasn't going to ship the bass if they didn't pay. I started to think he was lying (His last name is Sánchez. the "latin blood" in action :scowl:, I thought ), but fortunately my Bongo was shipped from San Luis Obispo to Miami last week. The problem of shipping to Colombia is that I must pay the 26% of the value declared in the invoice, but Mr. Sánchez recommended me a guy in Miami who could put the bass in my door easily. I contacted him, and it turned out that he's also from Colombia and he imports musical instruments. I don't know how he did it, but it was very, very cheap because no costumes! Besides, I had to send the second half of the payment to Consolidated Music, which, for the first half, I did through my bank. And that's a real hassle. I was ready for that again, but this colombian guy has an account here and he offered to help, so I could send the money to CM without the hassle. Risky, I know, but I took it and everything went fine.

-Funky Tune: I don't get you... Are you asking where am I from? I'm from Bucaramanga, Colombia, man.

Now I have to play this beauty extensively for writing a good review. What I can say right now: This bass is awesome. The EQ settings I like for most playing situations are: Both magnetic and piezo pickups on (knob in the center detent position), neck and bridge pickup on (same as the previous setting), full bass, full treble, full high mids and low mids slightly cut (somewhere in between the center detent position and full blast position). There were two things I was very worried about: The neck width and the neck humbucker getting on the way for slapping. At first I ordered a single coil-humbucker configuration, but the rave reviews (specially from Bovinehost) of the HH made me change my mind. Besides, I looked at some pictures and the single coil is placed near to the neck, so it makes no difference with the humbucker. NO PROBLEMS! I've played slap riffs and the humbucker doesn't bother me. Neck width is perfect. I'm so used to my Carvin BB75 wide neck, specially for popping the D string, and I thought the Bongo was very different, but it isn't. Yes, it's narrower, but not too much.

I feel the action a bit high in the last frets and the pickups a bit low. I want to make adjustments, but those are the "factory recommended" settings. Am I wrong? The neck isn't bowed. I thought it was going to be because of the weather change, but it looks and feels perfect.

I thought my Carvin sounded good (and it does), but this beast outperforms it. What I like the most (again, after a couple hours playing it) is that aggresive character of the Bongo. The Carvin sounds too "polite" and maybe that's the reason I haven't been happy with my slap tone in a band situation. I smell that the Bongo really CUTS. Unfortunately, I don't have gigs these days. After playing with my band I will give full appreciations on my new Bongo.
  12. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    hey you are very funny and nice guy,Latinos in the house :hyper: one question,second left to rightthis is a Peavy Cirrus? if yes tell me about this basses,i think to buy one :bassist:
  13. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

No, man. It's a bass made by a local luthier. This guy builds very good basses for the price. This fretless has active electronics and he told me the brand when I bought it, but it was (still is) an obscure name to me and I can't remember it. No info about the woods either. It sounds good. Anyway, my goal for 2006 is a fretless desert gold HHP Bongo with black pearloid pickguard. :hyper:

P.S.: Thank you for your comments! :)
  14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    lol definetly you falling in love with the Bongo,s
  15. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

You bet.
  16. 43apples

43apples Guest

Nov 9, 2003
    Hey Alvaro, nice to hear that you like your new bass!

Just a question... i've always heard people bashing Basswood,
    and i haven't had any good experiences with the wood myself ;) .
    How does the bass sound? Does it have that "thin, airy" sound that people claims basswood bodied basses to have?

Please don't take any offense from this post, im just asking, ok?

My bad experiences with the wood migth come from my basswood guitars\basses beeing Ibanezes :ninja:

17. Wasabi1264

Oct 3, 2004
    I have had two StingRay 5s. When I got my first one, the sales guy took it out of the box, and started lowering the bridge saddles. He said that they ship higher than he likes, but the necks are usually perfect. So when I bought my second one, I simply lowered the saddles...try 1/2 a turn at a time on every bridge screw so they stay consistent with each other. Keep track so you can always return to the original settings if you want. This should dial in just what you want.
  18. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Erlend, I've also read bad opinions about basswood, mainly because of its light weight. This is my first instrument made of that wood, so I'm just starting to collect experience with it. I'm sure that Bovinehost is the expert on the subject, but one thing's for sure: "Thin" is not the word for describing Bongo's sound. It's HUGE!
  19. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    all riviews about Bongos say the same..Bongo is a huge deal
  20. yomchi247

Sep 6, 2004
    am I the only one that thinks those things look horrible?