My Bongo is ill... help!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Mar 27, 2005.

1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I posted this in the Ernie Ball forums but I think they're all still sleeping over there (didn't get a response in over 5 minutes :eek: ) so i figgered I'd repost it here.

I was in denial until last night. About a month ago I thought that the bridge pickup (that I usually rest my thumb on) seemed a little higher than I remember it being when I bought the bass. Lowered it a bit. Changed strings a short time after that, readjusted the neck and action a bit, and noticed again that the pickup was kind of close to the strings. I thought it was odd for a pickup to slowly rise, figured it was the new setup or my imagination, and lowered it once more. This time I lowered it enough so I'd be sure to know if it was rising again.

Last night it rose enough to flaten my G string by the end or our last set and I didn't have a screw driver with me, nor the will to bother with it at 3am. Amazing how much you can do without a G string. [​IMG] It challenged me to think outside the lines.... anyway....

I can't bring myself yet to assess the damage, but something is terribly wrong. I thought it was just the upper side of the pickup that may have been rising, but the whole pickup rises over time. Seems to be about 3 hours playing time and the bass becomes unusable. I would think the screws might be stripped, but the pickup doesn't just come right up. It's kind of mysterious. It definitely sucks bigtime.

Any thoughts or suggestions before I start taking the bass apart? I'm not big on messing with these things, I'm even less big on shipping my bass to ernie ball for them to fix it.

And be gentle, I'm suffering.<!-- / message -->
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Screws may be stripped, a temporary solution is take off the pickup, and snip the springs a little bit.
  3. This is typical with the MMEB's. They made them so easy to turn thet can back out due to vibration. Put some Locktight on the scew threads then readjust to proper height