Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My boss really sucks

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bass__player01, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Sorry to talk about this here, but I just wanted to vent off a little bit, and ask you if what i'm doing is right.

I work at a restaurent, and really hate the job, but it as nothing to do with the problem.
    My boss is really the kind of cheap guy who is doing everything to save a dollar and won't hire anybody else for the summer. (summer is a real big period in our restaurent)

During the night shift, we are 4 cook and normaly, last year at this time we were 7 working at the same time.... But still the boss refuse to hire some new people.

And the best part, two weeks ago, he announced us that our vacacions scheduled during july and august were canceled because it was too big in the restaurent and they needed us.

So me and my coworkers decided to wait until july (bigest time of the year) and all leave this place at the same time, leaving him with no employes at all...

I know this is a little extreme, and not really good for our reputations for other jobs, but still, trust me they deserve it.

Do you think this is right? :rollno:

2. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Go for it, as long as you have another job lined up and don't mind not using him as a reference for future jobs.

3. +1

Nice idea. :D But be careful.

4. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    I hear ya! I'm a server in a restaurant with a cheap boss. There's only 6 of us on the busy nights. One person bring out the food, one ringing up the till, 2 of us actually working, 1 hostness and 1 flirting with the boss trying to avoid work (dont worry, she quit when he asked her to do some work). It's horrible. We were short 3 people that night. We also dont have enough of anything at this place because the boss is too cheap to replace plates when they break. It's been 3 weeks and I still havent gotten paid. I feel your pain.

I support your decision. Go for it (if you dont need the job)! He deserves it for overworking the staff and then having the nerve to cancel their vaction.

5. Bosses need to learn to treat employees better. I'm asking for a raise this summer at ym liquor store. I work twice as hard ad the other kid and he makes $.50 more then me and hour. And then there is the fact when I irst started they said $6 an hour, stocking and cleaning. Now I also run the cash register and lotto machine and to the bank for them. Think I deserve a little raise.

But get a job lined yp first, then screw him over.

6. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Here in NZ $9.50 is our minimum wage, which is pretty good. Though everything is different...exchange rates etc, plus we don't have the whole 'tipping' custom here, It is just not done.

I think that quitting thing is ok...as long as he is as evil as you make him out to be! Maybe you should just tell him of your plans about a week before...he might grovel and give you a holiday, or a raise, or both. If he realises the seriousness of the situation he may change his views.

7. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Are the vacations something that you have in writing that he guaranteed to you, or are they a "if allowed" sort of thing? If he guaranteed them, I'm not sure he can legally do that.

I hate it when jobs don't staff an adequate amount of people and the other workers have to suffer for it. My job does this, and although we have been training some people over the past few weeks, I may have to work 6 days a week mandatory soon. Last year it was from I think May-October that I had to.

8. DaftCat

DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Your plan is just fine. Life is too short to suck up to his a$$.
    Before you do it though, get the staff to chip in and buy this for your boss. Perhaps it will wake him up.

:)

9. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    That definatley sucks. I find that if a company doesn't seem to allow upward movement and promotions, it's generally a bad idea for one to do more than what the job requires. If you show that you're willing to work harder than what's expected, mangers will take notice and require you to do more work without any added incentives. Obviously, some companies will reward you for hard work, but many (usually larger corporations where you're just "a cog in the machine) will attempt to get the most output from you with the least amount of overhead. Remember, the only thing many managers care about is the bottom line. I wish people would realize that making sacrifices just for short-term gains is often stupid.

God, I'm such a conflict theorist. :D

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Ya, I feel ya...

I've only been at mcdonalds a month... and I'm ready to quit.

The first week or so, you are supposed to be on grill because it is the most brainless operation of them all.

I've been on grill for a month... They hired 5 people two weeks after me... none of them know grill. They all know the good parts of the job like drive thru, window, lobby, dishes, etc...

I know all that stuff too, but I never get to do it... even though I'm better at it. When I ask to do something else, they give me the "They need to learn..." BS.

Bah. Needless to say, I'm seeking out different employment opportunities.

11. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    you work at mcdonalds? perfect.

12. eric234

eric234 Guest

Mar 11, 2005
    philadelphia
    why is it perfect?

13. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Gias perfect love partner:
    Baby fat
    Dirty blond hair
    Brown Eyes
    Crooked grin
    Works at Mcdonalds.

thats why its perfect... its me.

14. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    You're a teenager, your job is supposed to suck. Then when you get out in to the real world you can only hope that that job doesn't suck too :)

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I worked at McD's for 5 months -- trust me, you've got it good. Dishes suck, drive-thru and cash are both full of unappreciative people who you'd think would be significantly more jolly. Lobby is the single most boring job ever, grill is totally where it's at.

I work at the KFC across the road from the same McD's I worked at 2 years ago, and I love it so much more. Not enough to stay at it for more than a year or two, but it's miles ahead of McD's in every way! No jerk bosses...I started 30 cents higher an hour than I should've (7.45 instead of 7.15) and I'm getting plenty of hours and training. Good times, good people.

16. Working at a liquor store, thats where it's at.

Mmm my dresser is hidden with goodies :D

17. jade

jade

Mar 8, 2002
    YYC
    It was exactly like this where I worked. They didnt teach me to how to take orders until a week after I started and I didnt get an apron until the 2 weeks after. The new people started with an apron and they learned how to take orders on there first day. After a day of taking order, he made me "hostness" again. I got fired the day after I got my apron. I never want to work for anyone like that again, I hope I never have too.

18. That's it, one of the cook left from my job, and until I tell them I'm leaving, we've got to make up for the missing employee so i'm working every night for the next three weeks

I'll just do it, take the money and leave for very well deserved vacation... and never come back to this place again

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I had one of those pedals. Mine was crappy too.

20. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    you always could make me swoon mike.