My brain is overloaded... I can't take anymore prog!!!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    heh... not really.

As of late, all the music I've been rocking has been blowing my mind. Strange odd timed weird awesome talented music. I'm finding myself ODing on this and latching on to catchy music that is in... eeek... 4/4 :D

Now don't think that I'm going to start going to conform to pop dance stuff... or pop punk. That's not what I'm looking for... what I've been diggin' on is... complex in terms of pop.

Joe Jackson
    Elvis Costello
    XTC (Well... mostly Drums and Wires)
    Brian Eno's non ambient work

The thing about it: It's pop... but it's layered. A fantastic example... Cake. I hate Cake because they repeat themselves sooooo often. "Alllright... Awww no." etc. Once you've heard 4 Cake songs... you've heard 'em all. I'm done flaming Cake.... (If anyone started a Cake tribute band, they would have to be called Frosting, because they cover cake.... bwahahahhaha).

But Cake does something wonderful. A layering of simple parts. Guitar/Bass/Drums/Vocals/Trumpet doing something different from one another to create a symphonic pop effect. Most pop is three chords, bassline defining the chords, bass snare bass snare drums, whoa whoa whoa vocals.

I want pop with content... a certain density. Fluff, but not completely.

Ideas? Ya'll know what I like...
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Oh My God. You'll dig them. Link

Patchouli. Acoustic hippy pop. Link

I'll think of more, give me a minute.

Edit: Ok, well I thought of some of more pop bands that I enjoy.

Rasputina. Link

The Urge. Reggae/ska/funk delivered in a pop format. Great stuff. Link . Check out the songs All Washed Up and Four Letters and Two Words.

Don't know if you like R&B, but Bill Withers, Lionel Ritchie, Seal, Sade, and Al Green all have things I enjoy about their music. Sade gets stuck on herself (ala Cake), but the music is good and her voice is great.

If Captain Beefheart played pop songs about love, and was fronted by a small japanese woman.
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Come back to the world of Prog! You know you want to. :cool:
  5. Check out The Deserts Of Träun, I swear they're not prog....ok maybe they are but I swear they are awesome!
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Check out David Byrne's Feelings.

Trust me on this and listen to the whole thing...the songs vary pretty wildly. It fits your description of poppy and layered. It's layered both sonically and genrelly (new word).
  7. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    Check out the Ben Folds "Rockin' The Suburbs" album. All sorts of stuff goin' on there. And it's all amazing.
  8. Till, what about John Mayer's new PROG ROCK TRIO? LMFAO!

Is that XTC's "Drums and Wires" or "Drums and WireLESS"? English Settlement is just genius..... ;)