My Bridge and the Underwood

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Skywalker22, Dec 24, 2002.

1. Skywalker22

Skywalker22 Guest

I just got an underwood and the damn thing is too big for my bridge. what should I do? help help
  2. jugband

Jan 16, 2001
    You'll need to sand out the opening of the bridge-wing to give a snug fit. This is normal installation for any bridge-wing pickup. The opening is almost always too small, or too large, usually too small.

The pickup element should fit as snugly as possible, without having to be forced in.

Sound won't be good if the fit is too loose, but if you have to force it in, you risk destroying the element.

Personally, I fitted my BassMax pickup by wrapping some sandpaper around a popsicle stick, and then carefully sanding out both upper and lower surfaces, making sure I didn't round the surfaces that would contact the top & bottom of the pickup element. You need flat surfaces to get good contact with a flat surface.

You just have to sand a little, check clearance, sand a little more, check clearance, etc.

I'm sure a luthier wouldn't charge much at all to do it for you, if you don't feel up to it.

I fitted mine in less than an hour, and that included time to dig out the sandpaper, eat a Fudgecicle(purely to get a stick, of course), and clean up the stick!

I think it was 80-grit paper I used, mostly because that's what I had laying around the garage. It may have been a little too fine, but then again I got a perfect fit without taking out too much wood.
  3. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
  4. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I'm not partial to the Underwood sound, but they need to be installed with minimal snugness--too tight squashes the sound and can damage the bridge.