Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Bridge is rusty...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jiro, Aug 27, 2004.

1. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    [​IMG]

What on earth should I do? I cant even turn the screws how do i get the rust off safely... I just found out today I could adjust my action through this thing...the bridge... I always thought i needed a truss rod to do that since mine was a bolt on it didnt have one so i thought i never could fix my huge fret buzz...I cant even turn the screws...im screwed. I remember in chem or something like redox or something pshh.. i forgot someone help?

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    YECCH! :spit:

Go to the hardware store and buy some rust remover. Naval Jelly is pretty easy to use, and it's kinda like a gel (more of a goo, acutally) so it will stay where you put it. Apply, wait, clean it off, repeat. Read the directions. When you get most of it cleaned off apply a light coating of a rust preventative, like WD-40. IMPORTANT: This stuff will trash the finish on your bdoy, so use a lot of masking tape to protect it.

By the way, most bolt-on necks have adjustable truss rods. You should either take that bass to someone who knows how to set it up properly or else do a lot of internet searching on "bass setup" to teach yourself how to adjust the neck, the action (bridge height) and the intonation.

3. Jiro

Jiro

Mar 15, 2004
    will CLR work?

4. MichaelScott

MichaelScott

Jul 27, 2004
    Moorpark CA
    "I just found out today I could adjust my action through this thing...the bridge... I always thought i needed a truss rod to do that since mine was a bolt on it didnt have one so i thought i never could fix my huge fret buzz..."

Sounds like you have never taken your baby in for an intonation set up at your local repair-shop.

I'd recommend doing that instead of trying to fix and adjust the bridge yourself. Most set-ups cost under $60 and are worth every penny.

5. Scot

Scot Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    I just wanted to mention that you want to make sure the neck has the perfect amount of relief before you start messing with the string height at the bridge. You probably have to remove the neck to get to the truss rod. A common mistake made in regards to instrument setup is to adjust the bridge string height when a truss rod adjustment is really what needs to be done. Once the string height is set on a bass it really doesn't need to be changed.

You may want to heed the other advice given and have a pro setup done. If you do decide to go it alone, carefully read the setup guides found on the fender site or wherever and don't adjust any more than a 1/4 turn on the truss rod at a time. It's a pain when you have to keep removing the neck but once you get it dialed in you usually don't have to mess with it unless you live in a place with extreme climates and even then only once or twice a year.

-Scot