Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My bro is starting out on guitar and needs some advice

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by JP Bassman, Jul 29, 2002.

1. JP Bassman

JP Bassman

Jun 18, 2001
    Jersey/DC
    Howdy yall.
    My brother, in his infinite wisdom has decided to start playing guitar. Now, the problem is he only has like 250$ and that's assuming he borrows almost 100$ from me. Now he's looking at Squier stuff, and a cheap and I mean cheap amp for practice use only. I suggested the Squier Fat Strat which is in one of my mags - musiciansfriend maybe? - for $199. Has anyone had any experience with these? Good? Bad? etc. Also, in the mag is a Squier Affinity Strat combo with a 10W amp for close to 300$. Honestly, this is too much, but seperately, new, the items would be well over that, so i guess it's a deal in the long run. Sam here, if anyone has any comments, tips, experience, please let me know.

Now, the 3rd option we're looking at is to buy used and hope to find a deal. This is my number one suggestion, especially in terms of an amp.

So, fellow TBers, help my bro make a decision :)

Thanks guys.
    -JP

2. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    My Advice for your bro: Forget about guitar and go play bass. :D :D

Seriously though, a Squier Strat would be a good beginner guitar, though you must not forget the Yamaha Pacifica models. They come in both Strat and Tele models. I personal feel they are of better quality than the Squiers, and you should definatley check into them if you get a chance. (Since you are buying from Musiciansfriend anyway, it doesn't matter if your local stores stock Yamaha anyways)