Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My brother just left for South Africa

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by fatbassjazzer, Jul 23, 2004.

1. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    My brother just left for one week to go to Durban South Africa for a mission trip. Have any other people ever been there and what is it like? I've never been further than Pittsburgh so I have no idea what to expect. One of my friends used to live in Johanasburg (sp?) and he told me the humidity is much lower there than in Atlanta and when he came back he would get nosebleeds just because of huge differences. Thats really the extent of my knowledge. Any comments about Durban and what its like?

2. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    When he comes back, don't have sex with him. He might have contracted AIDS while on his trip.

3. nice.

4. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Haha yeah. I told not to be hanging out with any prostitutes.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado
    Quite possibly one of the dumbest posts I've read here in a long time. :rollno:

6. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Well, I am currently in Cape Town, which is more or less on the other side of South Africa compared to Durban. But here it has been raining a lot the whole day today. But the preceding three weeks has been sun almost all the time. It is however winter here, and the wind is chill.

But I guess that the largest difference is the culture; and that is also the part that is most difficult to explain. It's just different - at least from Norwegian culture. Probably different in different ways from your culture.

Also there is huge amounts of crime here - very different from Norway. AIDS isn't a problem unless, you know, one is in the kind of situation where one might get infected.

Feel free to ask more specific things, perhaps I can answer, perhaps I can not.

7. Sonorous

Sonorous

Oct 1, 2003
    Denton, TX
    No, there is a lot of AIDS in South Africa. Epidemic!

8. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    AIDS is pretty big overthere from what I've heard. But he is a hardcore christian on a mission trip, so he won't be doing any prostitutes. What is the crime rate like in Durban? I know its really high in Johanasburgh.

9. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    I've been to Durban as a visitor myself. The crime-rate is far lower than in Johannesburg, but it depends from area to area. I didn't mind walking big distances through Durban during daytime.

At night, I would only take taxis, which are affordable in South Africa. I bet your brother probably has met some locals who adviced him on some safe and less-safe areas. I just hope that they will not overprotect him, as many of the white South Africans were a bit too paranoid over their own safety. Which I respect by the way, they've been living there for a long time and each family has had some confrontations with crime. I had a good time in that city, however.

The climate is quite humid but not very unfriendly, and you can go to the beach anytime to cool down. Dolphins and sharks in the sea, and the city is full of hills. The nightlife is also not bad at all. But, like most of Africa, it is already extremely Christianised...it is the conservatism coupled with religion that made many people disclosed to talk about sex and Aids, including the president. That is one of the reasons that the rate is high in that country.

If you speak to him, let him know that he should try to visit Lesotho and Swaziland as well. It's very interesting to see how these are completely different societies from South Africa.

10. fatbassjazzer

fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    ATL
    Thanks a ton for all the info!

11. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    South Africa has 8X the crime rate of america. I heard that statistic on TV a few months ago. I wouldn't go to Africa period.

12. Niels Keijzer

Niels Keijzer Guest

Nov 27, 2000
    Eight times compared to Idaho?

Don't get me wrong, the crimerate in South Africa is high and a problem, but I wouldn't put too much trust in comparing national statistics (esp. those represented on American tv-channels that aren't too politically neutral) and basing your judgement on that.
    The US has some unsafe areas, and the same goes for South-Africa. As a matter of fact, in both countries the high crime rate is highly correlated with a big gap between the rich and the poor, and a relatively easy access to handweapons (as commpared to European countries).

This is not meant to be taken as a political threat, but I think people should be well informed about the world. This is a basis for understanding and peace.
    I'm from one of the safest countries in the world and I consider the time I spent in South-Africa as some of the best weeks in my life.