Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My brother's new CD with Drew Gress

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bassbuddy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Afer spending, what, over THIRTY years as probably the most well-liked and respected pianist, if not musician of any ilk, on the Cincinnati jazz scene, my brother Steve Schmidt has finally gotten off his butt and released a solo CD. During his time playing locally, he's played with and struck up friendships with some of the best players of our time - Eddie Gomez, Jeff Hamilton, you name 'em. He could've left town years, ago, but he's a little hard to get off the porch, if you know what I mean.

It was recorded late last year in New York with Jeff Ballard on drums and Drew Gress on bass, liner notes by Fred Hersch. Let me tell you - and I can be objective on this - the record is beautiful. And not just "oh, that sounds pretty" beautiful, but capital "B" Beauty in the deepest, most human, Pebble-Beach-sunset, first-smile-from-your-baby, heart-moving sense. He's got more chops than I have hairs on my head, but he's a very controlled, compositional player, and generous to his sidmen to a fault. I couldn't be prouder of him, and just want everyone to hear.

If he wasn't so damned self-depricating, this would've been out years ago - hell, he turned down a contract offer from Concord Jazz when he was barely thirty because he didn't feel he was "mature" enough. I could've clubbed him. But I'm glad it's finally here. I hope it brings him the wider recognition he deserves.

http://www.steveschmidt.net/

http://cdbaby.com/cd/sschmidttrio

(Mods - if this thread breaks any rules, my apologies, and please delete away)

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know about "rules", but if you can't post a review of an album with Steve, Drew, and Jeff in this space, then I don't know what we're doing here at all. I'm looking forward to checking this one out.

3. Excellent judgement here Mr Moderator.

4. Thanks Chris - much appreciated.

John Schmidt

5. Self-serving (or bro-serving) bump - it's back in stock.