My brother's new CD with Drew Gress

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by bassbuddy, Jan 16, 2006.

1. Afer spending, what, over THIRTY years as probably the most well-liked and respected pianist, if not musician of any ilk, on the Cincinnati jazz scene, my brother Steve Schmidt has finally gotten off his butt and released a solo CD. During his time playing locally, he's played with and struck up friendships with some of the best players of our time - Eddie Gomez, Jeff Hamilton, you name 'em. He could've left town years, ago, but he's a little hard to get off the porch, if you know what I mean.

It was recorded late last year in New York with Jeff Ballard on drums and Drew Gress on bass, liner notes by Fred Hersch. Let me tell you - and I can be objective on this - the record is beautiful. And not just "oh, that sounds pretty" beautiful, but capital "B" Beauty in the deepest, most human, Pebble-Beach-sunset, first-smile-from-your-baby, heart-moving sense. He's got more chops than I have hairs on my head, but he's a very controlled, compositional player, and generous to his sidmen to a fault. I couldn't be prouder of him, and just want everyone to hear.

If he wasn't so damned self-depricating, this would've been out years ago - hell, he turned down a contract offer from Concord Jazz when he was barely thirty because he didn't feel he was "mature" enough. I could've clubbed him. But I'm glad it's finally here. I hope it brings him the wider recognition he deserves.

(Mods - if this thread breaks any rules, my apologies, and please delete away)
  2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I don't know about "rules", but if you can't post a review of an album with Steve, Drew, and Jeff in this space, then I don't know what we're doing here at all. I'm looking forward to checking this one out.
  3. Excellent judgement here Mr Moderator.
  4. Thanks Chris - much appreciated.

John Schmidt
  5. Self-serving (or bro-serving) bump - it's back in stock.