Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Brubaker K5B Extreme

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brad Johnson, Nov 21, 2002.

1. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Some preliminary shots. I'm out of town and have to wait to pick it up.

[​IMG]

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Wow, nice bass, congrats Brad!

Early Xmas, huh?

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Finest home Bru yet! I actually like that one. I think the color really "fits" the F-hole. Excellent bass indeed. That is also one of the best bookmatches I've seen done on a spalt like that.

Gets my approval.

4. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

5. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    not too shabby!
    Who painted that tree on there?

6. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    [​IMG]

7. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    wow very very very beautiful bass!!

8. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    How long was the build time?

9. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Very nice, I have always liked Brubakers. That is the first spalt fretboard I've seen. I really like the f- hole too. I must say it again... very nice.

10. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    KILLIN!!! hey man- i like the way you hold off on "progress" pics until the bass is done!! you're too cool for school-
    looks great!! the spalt fingerboard, sweet- that man has some serious cojones to do that- let me know how that turns out- congrats!!- Adrian

11. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Elves... who else?;)

12. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Oh my:eek:

That is one sweet looking bass. Me likes.:cool: :)

13. S#!+

NICE! WOW!

When are you picking it up?

I think I haven't seen you in a while.. :)
    How about a meeting? (of course, sometime after you pick that monster up!) ;)

14. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    man.. that bass is hot. I really dig it alot.. you are one lucky sonofa gun

15. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks guys. Adrian, I was pretty tempted to put pics up.

I'll get some more pics of the bass up when I get it. I last saw it two weeks ago when we went over finish options. What you can't see is the very nice (IMO) Ash body and the rest of the neck which is comprised of the spalted Maple fretboard, a layer of Ebony and the back of the neck, Maple, which is finished in a Black satin that looks like a composite neck.

The build time was actually pretty short, maybe 3 months. Kevin suggested the spalted board and I trust his judgement. Shouldn't be any durability problems, the spalt itself was pretty hard and the polyurethane used as a based is well into the wood, which should add to the hardness. We both thought it would be pretty sweet to try it, never seen a spalted board like this.

The whole process was fun, the hard part was in narrowing down to the final product from all of the options he gave me. Now for the next one...;)

16. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    I'll be back in town tomorrow. I hope I can pick it up Saturday. Then I'll take it home and stare at it for a while:D

17. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Beauty Brad!!

What's the function of the F hole??? What type of sounds do you compare this bass to......Fender Jazz, MTD or F bass???

H

18. Brad Johnson

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Thanks, H. The f hole is both esthetic and functional, the body is hollowed out in that area. As far as the sound goes... I don't know. I trust Kevin and this was an experiment for both of us. The idea was to do something even more "out" than the already phenomenal (IMO) things he's already done. I still haven't played a late model one I didn't like.

The Wildcard is the spalted board. I'm expecting it to sound like a Maple board. The bass has an Ash body so we'll see how that combination of woods and the same electronics I have on the other Brubaker (quad coil Barts, three band Bart preamp with two position mids and active/passive switching) works out.

My other Brubaker kills... if this one sounds anywhere near as good as it looks to me...

:D:D:D

19. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    hell, Brad - I was tempted to post a pic!! Kevin sneaked me a couple and you sent one- you dont know how hard it was not to leak it to the Enquirer!!- enjoy, man!! i want reports on the spalt board!

20. Brad, that looks I awesome! I really like how the top, fretboard and headstock match up, or at least appear to. Makes it look like one big hunk of spalted maple. The F hole is cool. I have started having a thing for acoustic chambers ever since I played a few Rob Allens.

Geoff