Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My buddy's dead Crest V1500

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stinsok, Jun 26, 2004.

1. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    My friend has a Crest V1500 lying around our practice space. I asked him what was wrong with it? He says it powers up but has zero output on either side. He says he hasn't had it repaired because he is afraid the repair cost will be sky high. What do you think it would be worth in it's present condition?

2. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    tuff call, could be a fuse and not cost much at all and then it could be major. Who knows what was done to the amp, but seeing that it lights up, atleast power is getting in. Bad thing is if the transformers are damaged.

Offer him $50.

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    He told me the fuse was the first thing checked. It is probably something ugly like shot transformers.

4. This is like calling up a mechanic and saying "my car won't run, what'll it cost to fix it" Without any information than this, who knows?

Although I doubt it's transformers, they're generally fairly robust. Take it to an amp repair shop--NOT your local guitar store--and get a quote.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Vell, this amp is solid state, so if the transformers were shot, it wouldn't power up. Offer him a few bucks for it. I have gottena few VCR's that people said didn't work, but as soon as I touch them, they work perfectly. I mean, Holy Magic Touch, Batman!

6. modflea

modflea

Apr 26, 2004
    Lafayette, LA
    I don't know about repair costs, but Crest's repair department is very helpful and might be able to help. Also check to see if it's under warranty. They have a 5 year warranty.

True story:

My Crest(a couple of years old) was borrowed by my friend's bass player who went into the studio and needed my SVT Pro Preamp to record with. I said sure and away went the amp. Now I always keep my speaker cables plugged in the amp and tied together inside my rack. I do this because I never turn on the amp without plugging in the speaker cabs. Well the studio engineer turns on the preamp and :eek: turns on the power amp with no speakers plugged in. :spit: Needless to say my amp comes back not working. I email Crest, explain the situation (yes I told the truth) and poof they say send the amp to them it's under warranty! Two weeks later it comes back with two pages of work done free of charge. So check the purchase date and email Crest. It may be fixed for free!

7. Brian Barrett

Brian Barrett

Nov 25, 2001
    Murfreesboro, TN (Nashville)
    Dealer LowEndBassShop.com, Builder LowEndBasses.com
    Crest is wonderful with warranty and repair. Everytime I've had anyone need stuff done they have been right on top of the situation. They have had first rate customer service everytime. Thats not to say theres not been a bad day story someone has, but I haven't ever caught them on it!

8. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Your friend should talk to Lenny Tedesco at Crest. I don't know if Crest's phone number is stil 201 909-8700, but give it a try!