Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My Budget MIM P-Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by funkycarnivore, Nov 7, 2005.

1. I needed something traditional for rock, but wasn't sure if a burgundy mist Jazz Bass would fit the bill. So I went on a search for a decent bass for not much money....

I started off with a MIM Fender P-Bass. This is the special edition with the ash body.
    [​IMG]
    $223.50 for the bass from eBay.

I didn't like the white pickguard, so I got a Fender black/white/black one for $22.50, also from eBay.

Thought I should go for some higher quality electronics, so I ended up with a Duncan Antiquity II for $85 from Elderly, which brought the total cost for this bass to $331.
    [​IMG]

I didn't have to factor in the cost of a case or bag, cause I already have a bunch of those, so this was a pretty good deal. It sounds good, plays well, and I'm not afraid of anything happening to it.

2. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    Great find carnivore, that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for! :bassist:

3. How would you describe the Antiquity II's tone? If possible, can you give a comparison of the Anti II to the standard SD P pickup?

Nice bass, I hope you find it serves you well.

4. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    Pretty! Is that the original finish?

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Very nice, if only it had a maple fingerboard, I'd be on that bass like a fly on poop.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Looks tasty.

7. If ever there was a definition of a "rock bass", that is it. Very nice.

8. Sweet!

I'm trying to do the same thing more or less. Just lookin for the right ebay deal.

9. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    That looks really good, hows the fretwork?

10. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    That's a sweet deal you scored there!

11. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Well done, that just oozes '70's vibe, and I bet it sounds wonderfull also. MIM fenders really are great upgrade platforms.

12. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    You need more chrome! Where's the bridge cover?

13. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    Both of those exact thoughts passed through my head.

14. Added one more mod, just for fun.
    [​IMG]

15. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I think the white suited the wood finish better myself. But nice bass all the same.

16. I still have the MIM P-Bass, but it's gotten a few more mods. I had really good experiences with the Hipshot vintage-style bridge, so I added one. Unfortunately, I accidentally received a black one. But I decided to make lemonade and turned everything black. I also added a Raven Labs PBR-1 preamp.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    That looks ****ing wicked :eek:

18. Yeah, that's a solid rock axe right there. Reminds me of the '70s blackguard/natural P skillfully wielded by Eric Axelson of the Dismemberment Plan.

19. +1. Can't have natural ash without a maple board.

Killer bass none the less!