my cab choice is narrowed down between these two...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by learning_towalk, Aug 13, 2004.

1. Two Aguilar GS-112's

12 vote(s)
  2. Schoeder 1210

19 vote(s)
  1. ok after much research and thought I've narrowed my choice for bass cabs down between these two....please give me your opinion on each

I am looking for LIGHT weight, good out put, great lows, but cuts through enough for me to be able to hear my mid.

I have a Traynor YBA200 amp (200wts tube at 4ohm)

and I'll be running a Cirrus Redwood 6, Ergo EUB, and hopefully a Schecter 5 studio fretless

I play in a jam band (phish'esque) and I play rock, the occasional solo show,and every now and then I fill in for a jazz quartet

so I need diversity.

so should I go with

a) Two Aguilar GS-112's
    b) one schroeder 1210

your opinions mean a lot to me.
  2. outofthedeep

outofthedeep Guest

Jan 14, 2004
    East Texas
    my opinion is Schroeder......
    Nothing but good reports on them, and I am going to order one myself in the next few months..... already emailed Jorg about even..... He's a great guy, and answewred all my questions quickly and thoroughly... definetly my choice. Besides, the price is killer for the quality and wattage you are getting.......

But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong. :p
  3. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    I've had both GS112 and just got a Schroeder 1210.

Schroeders sound every bit as good to aggies in the low end dept, but more defined/clear/cutting to my ears.

It's very easy to move around too!
  4. were you running one or two Aggies? and have you heard anything about the Schroeder 1212? everyone talks about the 1210 but I haven't heard anything about the 1212
  5. dont

Jul 25, 2004
    I have a 1212 on the way--should get it toward the end of the week. I am expecting great low end, which is what I want. More to follow.
  6. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    Well i had a single GS112, but then i traded it for a GS2x12.
    Schroeders sound better to my ears for the reasons i posted above...
    Aguilars do sound good though, it's a very close comparison.
  7. yah, that's all that schroeders come in....
  8. thanks!!! It'll be 2 1/2 weeks until I order my new cab(s) so I'll anxiously await your review!!!!
  9. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    The Schroeder's are spreading rapidly.... and for a very good reason.

I would almost just buy the Schroeder in protest to the ridiculous Aguilar prices. Let's make Aguilar LOWER their prices to compete. How bout that?
  10. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

Let'em charge what they will... I got the Schroeder and couldn't be happier :bassist:
  11. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Er... maybe I'm missing something, but aren't Aguilar cabinets very similar in price to the Schroeders?

I haven't heard any Schroeder cabs, but seeing as how people here seem to love them, I'd like to get a chance to hear some. Unfortunately, I don't think any dealers around here will be carrying them any time soon. :(
  12. TheChariot

Jul 6, 2004
    Boston, MA
    I think it's their heads and amps that are crazy expensive. I think I'm just angry over a while ago... it sucks finding the perfect specs on something and getting psyched to try it out, and then seeing the pricetag that you'll never achieve.

But.... Pro-gear. You pay a pro-price (most of the time). I am in agreement with that to an extent. But... still a bit disgruntled, I have to say. :(
  13. yah aggie amps are rediculous, but their cabs aren't bad...esp the GS-112...

any more opinions?
  14. Elliott

Mar 20, 2000
    I have 2 GS112's in my garage and one Schroeder 1212. They are comparable, but the Schroeder seems to have a little faster decay, making it more articulate. Both cabinets seem to hit you in the chest when you step on the gas. The Aggies have more top end than the 1212, but that is not necessarily a good thing for classic bass sounds. I tried the Schroeder 1210 and it had too much treble for my taste and sounded very much like the GS112s.

(A lot of the top end can be EQ-ed out of the Aggies and into the 1212, so you can get them to sound the same if you try.)

The Schroeder is easier to carry than two Aggies, but more difficult to one-hand than I had hoped. With your bass in a gig bag on your back and your amp in an over-the-shoulder bag, you can definitely make it to the gig in one trip with either the Aggies or the Schroeder, but I have to carry the Schroeder with two hands over any distance.

Although I am not a super loud player, I think that the Schroeder 1212 are more efficient and I would put my money on them for loudness over two GS112s.

I frankly would be happy with either set up. The edge goes to Schroeder, because my amp is now smaller than the guitar player's and I now can take an extra passenger in my car.
  15. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    My Schroeder 1210 just came, and I have gigs tonite & tomorrow I'll let ya know monday :cool:
  16. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Smash -

You posted back in August that you were going to give us your thoughts on your 1212 in the studio and live as compared to your Aggie 212. I'd love to hear your impressions.

Jerry -

How did the weekend go with the 1210? What do you think as compared to your Bergs?

Dying to hear other's impressions...