Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my cab was delivered 2day and......

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by aabassist, Dec 23, 2002.

1. right, i order an 8 Ohm cab, and today it was delivered, it has a sticker on the side:

Model : 215L8 (correct model that i ordered)
    Impedence: there is a tick in the '4' box (not right)

Is it likely to be 8 ohms due to the model number written on the side, or 4 ohms due to the tickbox? i.e which is more reliable to be correct?

I hope they didn't send me the 4 ohm version

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    looks like it's time to pull out the old simpson 260.

i would give them a call to let them know, but i would bet that you got the 4 ohm model.

3. How can i check which model i have, will it say on the outside anywhere?? is there any way to test it? coz i really need to know if its the 4 ohm or the 8ohm i got.

Also why would you say it's the 4 ohms?? any reason? or just a guess?

4. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    it sounds like a logistical mistake to me. yes, it can be tested, hence my simpson 260 comment. do you have an ohmeter? or the knowlege to operate one? if not, you could take it to anyone with the smallest amount of electrical know-how and you could figure it out.

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check out this old Bass Player magazine article to see how to test impedence with a cheap-o multimeter:
    http://archive.bassplayer.com/z2000/0008/ampclin.shtml

Mainly just look at what the guy in the picture is doing and know that it's going to show you DC resistance which is about 75% of AC resistance. So if this is an 8 ohm cab it'll show about 6 ohms on the screen when set to the "continuity" setting.

brad cook

6. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Go to Radio Shack, get a cheap multimeter ($14 or so), use it to check the cab, then return the meter. If its an 8 ohm cab, the meter will show around 6 ohms. If its a 4 ohm cab, expect a reading around 3.