My cab world is a mess. Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottfeldstein, Aug 18, 2019.

1. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Roots and fifths and a little extra. Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    I currently own:

2 GK Neo 115-III cabs. Good: Forty pounds. Bad: A little thin on the low end, but I view them as stage monitors, so maybe I don’t care about this too much. Also, they are large. Even at forty pounds, it’s a struggle to get them through doors, into cars, and up stairwells. Furthermore, one of them has developed a tone problem. I felt sure that it was a blown speaker so I replaced it. Didn’t fix it. It sounds kind of thin and at volume makes a vibrating noise. I just don’t know.

1 Ashdown VS-112. I bought this on a whim because it a 112 cab that I could buy without spending $600-$800. I got it for about $125 plus shipping. It’s rated for 150w, so that tells me it’s not going to carry a lot of drummer gigs. But we’ll see. It sounds kind of retro but I haven’t really used it at volume yet.

1 Peavey Headliner 112 cab. It’s kind of heavy, but at least it is rated for 400w, so at least they think I should be able to drive it a bit. Who knows, if I like it maybe I’ll pick up a second one. And maybe a third? My amp can accommodate 3 or even 4 of these 8 ohm cabs, so maybe one for practice, two for gigs, three for outdoor festival gigs?

1 GK 112 MBX cab. The teeny tiny one made out of aluminum. It’s like 14 pounds. Maybe these are used by standup bass players as a combo amp extension? I haven’t really used it. I picked it up on a whim for $125 plus shipping. I see it now on Ebay for $350-$450. I should probably view it as an investment and liquidate it quick.

So if I get a pair (or a trio) of the Peaveys on the cheap, maybe that solves me for the minute. Long term I expect to have some Fear-based cabs built for me. A pair of 12-6-1 cabs should do me until such time as I retire from this bass playing thing. I expect that I'll be able to do that in a coupe of years. But in the meantime I got me some BS cabinetry that I need to sort out.

Current amps:
    1. Carvin BX1500. Couldn’t be happier. So many features, so many watts, so reasonable a price!
    2. Ampeg PF500. This is my small rig/backup amp. I tend to leave this in the pit during rehearsals for musicals so I don’t have to haul the big boy around.
    Current basses: Warwick Rockbass $$, Ibanez SR505. Not happy with either of them at the moment and shopping out Mexican Jazz basses and Sterling Stingrays.

2. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    I'll just point something out, you may already know this but I'll say it anyway!

You said:
    1 Peavey Headliner 112 cab. It’s kind of heavy, but at least it is rated for 400w, so at least they think I should be able to drive it a bit. Who knows, if I like it maybe I’ll pick up a second one. And maybe a third? My amp can accommodate 3 or even 4 of these 8 ohm cabs, so maybe one for practice, two for gigs, three for outdoor festival gigs?

This may be true for your Carvin, but not for your Ampeg. It will only go down to 4 ohms so you could only use two of these cabinets. You'd need something like a Mesa Subway to use as a backup if you want to drive all those cabs.

agedhorse likes this.
  3. It's a whole new world when a 40lb cab is now ''heavy''.

4. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    My .02 (meant absolutely without even a hint of negativity) is ...maybe don't buy any more cheap cabs on a whim.....maybe even sell a cheap cab or 3 to recoup losses and wait/save for a high performance, lighter cab?

MarkA, ELG60, satchelbaglio and 12 others like this.
  5. Omega Monkey

Omega Monkey Suspended

Mar 8, 2015
    If you don't really like anything you have, sell it all and get something you do.

Gearhead17, ELG60, HolmeBass and 14 others like this.
  6. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    Hi scottfeldstein :)

Looks like you should post in the classifieds! :D :laugh:

good luck selling your stuff!

may the bass be with you

Wise(b)ass

7. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    If you're just looking for something to tide you over until you can build (or buy) a fEarful, consider selling everything you have (it is a mess) and getting a couple of GK Neo 112s. They go deeper than the 115s, are about 10lbs lighter, and two of them is all you will need, I guarantee it. For an outdoor festival, you would have PA support, right? Why complicate things with 3 cabs? Just put some of you in the monitors.

I recently sold a couple GK Neo 112s because I finished building a fEarful 12/6 stack. The GKs served me well for almost 10 years. While the fEarfuls sound more transparent which is what I was after, it takes a more wattage to get them to the same volume level as the much more efficient GKs.

8. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Oh, and have a good tech take a look at your malfunctioning 115... that's weird.

agedhorse likes this.
  9. jthisdell

jthisdell

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    IMHO it is worth it to spend more on your cab(s), after your bass they are the most important part of your signal train and contribute much to your overall tone. I have had a couple Bergantino cabs and have settled on a CN112 and 210 that gives me three different options which are all good.

satchelbaglio, Omega Monkey and msb like this.
  10. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Quite so, good observation. But I'm ok if my small rig/backup amp can only drive a pair of 12s.

11. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Those GK 115s are not low end beasts, they are midrange machines. I will typically put one on top of a GK NEO 212 so I get the big boom from the 12s and the cut from the 15. Try mixing your 12s with the 15. As for the rattling, the badges on the grill of the GKs are held on by 2 small locknuts on back, I would check if they are loose. It's easy and quick to get that grill off and tighten them up. Check all other screws as well, any open spaces could be effecting your tone. Just a thought.

HolmeBass, bdplaid and fishdreams like this.
  12. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    The GK Neo 112 & 212 are really great cabs.
    The Ampeg 212AV is also a winner.

Don't labor over the decision.

And I likes this.
  13. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    Heh, sell it all and get a Mesa Subway D800 with a 1x15 and a 4x10, or maybe just a 2x12, done! Life is short.

Nephilymbass and bdplaid like this.
  14. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    If I was starting from scratch, I'd get a Mesa WD800 and a Mesa Subway 212 vertical.
    An Ampeg V4B with a 212AV would be killer too!

There I go, complicating the decision again!

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  15. scottfeldstein

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Yes, I have thought this many times. The problem is they're $650 new. Used, they're simply not to be had anywhere. 112 cabs of almost any type are just solid gold right now. I have to think that it's better engineering than years ago but also the aging population of players who demand lighter cabs. Single 12 cabs are the it cabs right now.

And I likes this.
  16. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    Well I just had two of them up in the classifieds for weeks before they sold for less than half the price of new... but you're right they are rare to find used. This is a testament to their quality I think, but it does present a problem if you're looking to buy them used! Good luck.

17. Robscott

Robscott

Mar 20, 2017
    Tonbridge UK
    You use a pair of GK 115 Neos for stage monitoring? Wow! BTW, I have 2 of those and the driver blew on one of them. I couldn't get a GK replacement in any sensible timescale (shipped to UK) so I replaced it with a Faital neo driver. If you want more bottom end that driver will give it to you, though personally the GK orginals have plenty enough booty for me

18. Nothing to add, but I like your band...very cool sound :thumbsup:

19. acid bass

acid bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2010
    You listed 7 or 8 different pieces of equipment and the only thing you definitively like is your Carvin head. It sounds like you've bought quite a bit just because it was a good price, not necessarily because it's something you wanted or needed. As someone who churns through gear myself I completely understand that. But I agree with the others that you need to sell everything you don't like and make one big spend on the thing you do.

I also went through my phase of trying cabs/heads to find the optimal combination of things I liked. Finally, after going through about my 4th class D amp I decided to spend the money on a Mesa D800 and Subway 115. Cost me a pretty penny, but now I've got the sound I want and I don't look around for amps/cabs anymore.

20. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Sell what you don't like, but what you do. You said you bought several of the cabs on a whim because they were cheap. Well, if they don't do the job, it's just money wasted. Figure out what you need and get that. There will be no magical way to mix together a bunch of cabs that you don't like into something that you do like.

Frunobulax likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021