1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MY CABS SMELL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bass for Beef, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    How would you guys recommend that I get rid off years of smokeyness from my cabs?

2. It's not enough that a cab sounds good and performs well, but now they gotta smell nice too? :eyebrow:

3. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    oh these cabs rock, and the smell isn't awful, just if i 'm in my car for extended times it can be a little nautious

4. v-12

v-12

Mar 3, 2005
    FL Panhandle
    fresh air, febreeze (if its covered in carpet), and an odor removing (the kind for smokers and pet owners) candle burining near the cab for awhile....

5. Can anybody tell me how to get the "old lady" smell off my grandmother? She's not covered in carpet....

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Some time in a stable should improve that ; }

7. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    +1 on the fresh air/febreze. That's how I de-fonk mine. I'm a smoker, but I take enough pride in my stuff to try to make them as smoke-free as possible. I wasn't always that way, but in today's litigious, anti-smoker society, I want to mitigate as much risk of lawsuit as possible. Quitting smoking is now on my radar, as is the total exclusion of people in my acquaintance that continue this threatening activity. I have hired a lawyer to protect me from lawsuits that may arise from certain persons who may or may not know that I do or did smoke at one time, and my PR firm will be taking appropriate actions to enhance my anti-smoker persona...;) :D

8. wolfs

wolfs

Jan 18, 2006
    nyc
    LMFAO, that's the best title for a thread... possibly ever...

9. punkindrublic

punkindrublic

Dec 10, 2005
    Theres nothin worst than buyin a beautiful new cab and bringing it to your space only to leave come back to discover that the years of spilt beer and cartons of cigs have filled your studio.... nasty..... :scowl:

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    What kind of cabs?

Febreeze is my weapon of choice. Along with a nice day of fresh air in the driveway.

11. Amen! My cab smells to high heaven. Today is a nice day, so I have it in the garage with the doors wide open... Let that fresh air flow, baby!

--tz

12. Natures Miracle works wonders on pet/animal smells but I don't know if it works on smoke.

I don't react to smoke smell on objects, only to smoke in the air. While I don't like stale smoke/old cigarette butt smell particularly, I sometimes find freah smoke smell quite sexy on certain individuals.
    I was a smoker for many years but it started to make me extremely sick. That was decades ago so I am not one of those people who has that whole newly converted thing going on.

Febreze is EVIL, as are many similar concoctions. Lots of folks, myself included, are allergic to that stuff. A lot of folks think people with allergies are just being picky but for many this is not about not liking how something smells. When my tongue starts to swell up it is no joke. I react to lots of stuff that I find pleasant smelling or don't even notice at all till I start getting sick.

Just one perspective - for me smoke smell on an object is usually much less troublesome than most of the stuff people use to try and get rid of or cover up the smoke smell.

Peace,
    S

13. 8mmOD

8mmOD

Mar 20, 2005
    USA
    I endorse & use Tech 21 pedals, Eminence loaded cabs, EMG pickups, Jim Dunlop picks & Ernie Ball Strings, BC Rich Basses.
    Be careful with the fabreeze if the grill cloth frame is painted. Black paint ran all over my nice silver cloth... grrrr. BTW, my cab's stink was from a cat litter box which makes bar smoke seem like fresh air. :eyebrow: Oh yeah, pop out a speaker and toss some sheets of bounce inside for awhile. That also helped un-stink mine since the actual speakers get funky too. And good 'ole fresh air helps as well.

14. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Shred the cat-post carpet and refinish with DuraTex.

15. anderbass

anderbass

Dec 20, 2005
    Phoenix. Az.
    One option could be to just take up smoking. I bet you would hardly even notice the cabs smell. (just kidding)

16. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish
    maybe take the grill off, wash it.. remove the speaker and let it air out for some days. While that is airing out I don't see why you couldn't rug doctor the outside. Or who knows.. wash any and all exposed surfaces and let it dry for a couple days.

17. Bass for Beef

Bass for Beef

Aug 11, 2005
    Nebraska
    they're old trace elliot cabs...theres not carpet on em

18. Put this inside of it for a day or so:
    [​IMG]
    Whatever it smells like now, it won't anymore for a very long time.:D
    C7

19. lowrez

lowrez no.

Nov 27, 2004
    New Englandish

Dishwasher. Absolutely do no use Jet Dry though as it can damage the cones.

20. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    If there's no carpet on the cabs, I would suggest a dish soap, vinegar, and hot water blend, and just wash those puppies. And it probably is a good idea to take the speakers themselves out for airing.

Or, you could stuff taquitos43's grandmother in there, and hope to heck she doesn't smoke too.