1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My car brokeded.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by twinjet, Feb 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. twinjet

twinjet Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Sep 23, 2008
    Note: Long post. If you want to skip to the moral of the story, I have a TL;DR at the bottom.

I've been driving a 2005 Dodge Neon SXT since August 2014. Back then, it seemed like the perfect buy. Great on gas, sleek, fast, and just enough room to haul my bass rig and stuff without obscuring any vision (great trunk space!).

Over time, problems had begun to arise. I had never owned a manual, so I didn't realise my clutch was worn to nothing. To this day, the car still shifts fine, but accelerating too quickly can cause the clutch to slip. RPM could soar, but rubber doesn't burn.

Last summer, the tie rods on my front gave out while I was exiting a roundabout, rendering my steering useless. This was a relatively cheap fix - $220. Could have been bad had this occurred on a highway the highway I was 300 feet from entering.

Another car checkup revealed I had worn CV joints. My boots also needed replacing. More comments on the clutch. Something about a clutch bearing, too. Whole transmission job would have cost me $800, but didn't have that kind of green.

Anyway, the problem I never expected to catch up to me - my suspension! The suspension was really bad in front. You'd hear all sorts of weird squeaks and pops. The back wasn't so audible.

As I drove home tonight, I turned at a light and suddenly I notice the ride gets extremely bumpy. Strange, what's with the road? I continue, more bumpies. Wow, this is bad. I've driven this road every day for the past ten months... Gotta be the car. Cross an intersection, even more bumpies. I think I'm riding my tires at this point.

I make it home, park and get out and do an inspection and find my back end is considerably lower. The tires are now supporting the back of the car's weight. That's where the bumpies came from.

I say to myself "ah, great". Strangely enough, I am not upset - and for a number of reasons.

1) I can save money.
    2) I can quit this band that's been getting on my nerves and not burn a bridge by claiming I won't be reliable without a working car. I would not be lying!
    3) I can focus on woodshedding.
    4) I can catch up on some Bible readings and study it more.
    5) I can use cheap public transportation that will always get me where I need (or close, at least).
    6) This forces me to buy a bike I've only been talking about buying, which will force me to start riding everywhere. This will get me in better shape for my wedding in July.
    7) I can free up my schedule by canceling events and leaving other projects, thus giving me peace of mind.
    8) More quality time spent with my fiancée and kids cats. A better home life, in general.
    9) I reduce my environmental footprint.
    10) I won't be able to indulge my GAS.

Wow, gang - didn't think so much good could come out of a crappy situation. And to think how good I got it! The car gave up right as I got home AND the fix is cheap (but realistically, I'm selling that POS :D).

TL;DR: Blessings can be hidden in seemingly unfortunate occurrences.

Any bad-but-actually-good happenings go on in your life?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2016
    S-Bigbottom, slobake, Tbone76 and 2 others like this.
  2. 5544

Dec 1, 2015
    Just put a louder stereo in the car and all problems will cease to exist.

3. TOOL460002

TOOL460002 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Santa Cruz CA
    I had a house fire really change my head on life and material possessions, and I definitely am living less cluttered and cherish and use the things I have left and made tough choices on what not to replace. It is also an odd way to get your home remodeled. I'm still not ready to declare it a blessing though. Maybe with more time.

LiquidMidnight, slobake and twinjet like this.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Lots of 'em over the years. Some big, some small. Some seemed like disasters at the time, some seemed like minor annoyances. Just about everything has turned out better for whatever it was that happened before.

slobake and twinjet like this.
  5. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    thank goodness none of these problems lead to you being injured! when my tie rods went years ago, i met up with the back of a semi at freeway speeds and ended up with some broken ribs and nose, a variety of other smaller injuries and quite a concussion.

and glad to hear you're taking the entire thing well. good for you :)

btw, a suggestion - in future it might be worth getting the entire car checked so you can work on the things that are about to go before they go.

twinjet likes this.
  6. Atshen

Atshen

Mar 13, 2003
    Grim Cold Québec
    It seems like today's cars life expectancy is around 10 years, no matter the mileage. I don't think there will be many vintage 2000's cars. The bodies are made of crap anyway. The good side is that crap doesn't rust.

LiquidMidnight and slobake like this.
  7. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I believe that if we believe, all will be taken care of. Sounds like you have a great attitude towards this. I wouldn't settle on the belief that another, better car, isn't within reach. I lost my car a little over a year ago, and wound up with a brand new 2015 Kia Soul, which I could in no way afford... yet through a few "miracles" was able to manage. Without breaking my bank.

And I've had a lot of situations like that, with cars, basses, and lots of other things... as I'm sure you have, too. I've a good feeling that whatever lies ahead will be better. And I say that because of the attitude in your post :).

Congrats! It's time to move on.

8. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

The moral of the story: keep up with maintenance. If regular maintenance is neglected and small issues aren't dealt with, they show up in bunches.

And I'm very glad the OP is OK after the confluence of all the problems led to failure.

Gaolee, twinjet and slobake like this.
  9. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

You are probably right but I am still driving my 99 Honda CRV. Needs regular maintenance and I hve replaced the radiator. I will need to replace the motor mounts soon. Still for a 17 year old car it is running great.
    Probably an exception to the rule.

Atshen likes this.
  10. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    During my commute to work yesterday, the idiot light for the battery came on. I almost made it to the repair shop that I use (and trust the operators) before it died. I was planning to have the timing belt/water pump changed anyway. During the car's visit (they gave me a ride to work), it was determined that it needed a new valve cover gasket & spark plugs. Between these items and replacing the alternator, it was a more expensive day than I had expected when I got out of bed that morning! A bicycle is not an option for me - my commute is about 20 miles each way...

11. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I was very angry when my bicycle was stolen. It was 14 years old. I bought a new bike and am amazed at how much better the new bike is. Technology has come a long way in 14 years. Turns out the theives did me a favor. I would not have bought a new bike without their help.

twinjet and charlie monroe like this.
  12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    I complimented you on a previous thread title.... But this one proves you are ready to write for Yahoo News!

13. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    Well thank you!

Jah Wobble Fan likes this.
  14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Blessings are indeed where you find them. Being broke, for instance, can really focus the mind and the will.

I was mugged at machete point twenty years ago, and was left with ptsd, but also a crime radar that allowed me to dodge further robbery in two instances, including one where I used my car to hold off three dudes intending to rob my parent's house.

Tl;dr keep the car, cars make great improvised weapons.

Teenager steals Air Jordans in Craigslist robbery and has his arm severed in horrific incident

S-Bigbottom and TOOL460002 like this.
  15. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    WOW, what a read!

16. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2011
    My great grandpa told me bad luck was not actually bad. He said "Every aw$#;+ puts you one step closer to yee haw."

17. I do most of my reading in my automobile, while I'm waiting for my dinner.
    I managed to read Lemmy's autobiography twice, and now I'm into the gritty part of Slash's (Saul Hudson).

I would rent an automobile while mine was being worked on, because I just can't stand not having a vehicle.

twinjet likes this.
  18. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Dunno about reading in an automobile. As a daily motorcycle rider, I can say that people who are reading and driving attempt negligent murder on a regular basis. Fortunately, I am awake and paying attention. That's why I'm typing. Drunks are dangerous. Texters and emailer are probably more dangerous and should have really horrible things done to them. Shooting isn't slow or painful enough.

Naderage likes this.
  19. twinjet

Sep 23, 2008
    I wish. Can't afford one at the moment. Besides, a bike gets me everywhere I need to go. I could use my lady's car for the occasional gig.

20. /\/\3phist0

/\/\3phist0 Life: It's sexually transmitted and always fatal Supporting Member

@twinjet
    Priorities change, and circumstances force the changes at times.
    Riding these out, without feeling derailed most often leads to better things :)