Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

My car caught on fire and is dead.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Mar 4, 2006.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I was driving back to work after dropping an employee off, and I ran over a plastic bag blowing across the road. I thought it would blow off, but it ended up catching fire and the whole front end caught on fire. The block and everything under the hood is dead. The body is still salvageable and my dad might try to get it fixed up.. but man.. I am really bummed. I cancelled the order on my roscoe and everything else, and am buying a new GTI in the next week or so.. but i'm still WICKED bummed.

2. Wait, you drive that VW Cabriolet, right?

That thing was sweet!

I hope you get it fixed.

3. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    oh, man. that really sucks. no one would ever suspect a plastic bag to wreak that sort of havoc!

4. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, I drive the VW cabrio

5. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Wouldn't your motor insurance cover something like this?

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, but it's an 85. I wont' get much for it. The repair is more of a sentimental thing. It's not even my car.

7. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    That sucks man...sorry.:(

It didn't explode?? Maybe I've seen too many movies but I always figured if the cars on fire...It's gonna blow.

Sounds like you handled the situation well though. I would've been freaking out...Probably would've jumped out of the moving vehicle, Lol.

8. Oh, sorry man. That truly does suck. We will see plastic bag problems at work once in a while but they usually just get stuck to the exhaust and melt.

Did you have fire damage insurance? If so you may want to wait until the insurance adjusters see it. If they want to total it you should take the money and run. If the fire damage was extensive it will be expensive. There is a lot of plastic pieces under the hood not to mention it probably melted your main wiring harness. Depending on the car that harness can be $600.00 to $800.00 I have seen some over $1100.00

Sorry.

9. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    We did have fire damage insurance. We're going to get the total and such, but it was my dad's car. Honestly, I want to see it back on the road again. I think my dad's going to pay for it to be restored.. The damage isn't that bad. Wires are fried, block is shot, and the suspension is probably shot too.. The rest of the car is frickin' mint.

10. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    That's quite a trick. From Cabrio to Firebird

11. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Frikken OUCH!!

:eek:

:D

Joe.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    I would! I ran over something like that a few weeks ago and when I didn't see it fly out the back of the car I pulled over. It was in my wheel well but I got rid of it.

Man that sucks Whafrodamus, sorry dude.

13. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

That sucks.
    Any pictures?:ninja:

Well at least you're getting a brand new car, which is nice too.

14. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I did a little research. Labor will be a bitch, but parts for the car will be uber cheap. A new engine+wiring harness is 550, even buying a donor car and throwing a lot of the stuff under the hood into the cabrio won't be a bad idea.

15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Since there's always new out of the box ways to stop cars in action movies. ..It would be cool in the climax of an action movie if the main character only had a simple plastic bag in hand and had to stop the bad guy's car. So he lets go of the bad with a gust of wind to help carry it towards the car, and then it get caught in the car. Car catches fire and explodes. He saves the day, end of movie.:p

Who's with me on the production of this movie?
    :bag:

16. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    More reasearch done... a used MKII VW with the same insides can be found for south of 800$... It can be used as a donor vehicle, and bring my baby back to life :).

17. Thursday

Thursday

Nov 24, 2005
    Bronx, New York

Why not mod it into a drag car? (Way to much Need For Speed: Underground 1&2 and Most Wanted) That'll be sweet!! A lil VW creaming some 8 bangers!!!! Of cousre it will NEVER beat a Nissan 240sx with a SR20DET.

18. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Haha, its' my dad's... I'm trying to find a donor with an 8V(valve, not a V8), automatic, and no engine problems+relatively low miles.

19. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    *tear*

20. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Must have been an intense fire for the engine block to be no good.