Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my car problems, please help me and offer advice

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by ErikKrueger, Feb 13, 2003.

1. yeah, i hit a patch of ice on saturday on the way to a show, and messed up my headlight. since then my dash - the part with the speedometer and gas gauge and such - doesnt light up when i turn the headlights on and such. also, my tail lights do not work when i turn the car on too, i was wondering what you car gurus might know what is wrong, please help me, i am extremely stressed about all of this and i am worried about what this could be.

erik

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you've probably shorted something out. just replace the lamp and you'll be fine.

3. kcdbass

kcdbass

Feb 27, 2002
    New Jersey
    Former Sales/Web, Sadowsky Guitars
    if it has boobies or wheels ... sooner or later, it's gonna give 'ya problems! :D

i'd offer advice, but hell ... i can't even solder a pickup.

i am sorry that happened to you though, man ... as long as you're ok, right?

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

..crusin' hard now outta control,

'wrap the '64 around a telephone pole.

'looks at my car an' I says, "OH BRUDDAH"

throw in the gudda,

Go buy anudda!

5. odie

odie Supporting Member

P.Arron- Sometimes I just dont understand you man. :) ;) By the way what does the P stand for??

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Like Josh and JT said check out your fusebox, and check the bulbs. If you've shorted something out, try to eliminate the problem ie new bulbs. Once you've done that, check your fusebox for the fuses that deal with the lights that aren't working. If you don't fix the problem, you're just gonna blow more fuses!

As a long shot, it might be a relay issue. If changing the bulbs and sorting any blown fuses doesn't work, you might wanna look at the relays for the lights. They're probably in the fusebox alongide your fuses!

7. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    What they said -- check fuses first, then the headlight.

After that, get it to a mechanic who knows his way around automobile wiring.

Electrical systems in cars are squirrely, to say the least.

You're all familar with the fact that electrical systems can be wired in series or parallel -- well automobile electrical systems are wired in BOTH!

:eek:

If you don't know what you're doing, you can really end up chasing your tail.

8. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    move to Texas, there are a lot less ice patches.

Glad I could help.

Mark

9. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    How bad did you beat up the headlight?? Did you do any sheetmetal damage around the light?? Some cars have a clump of ground wires behind the headlight/grille area, especially near the battery side of the car. Id look there to see if you pinched any wires that could cause an open or short circuit. Also, (like was already mentioned) check all the fuses. Some cars have more than one fuseblock(underhood/under dash) so check your owners manual for fuse locations. Good luck.

10. way_of_opiatism

way_of_opiatism 28d, 6h, 42m, 12 seconds

Feb 5, 2003
    Cobb!
    and don't doddle! if there is a problem the wires could burn, and then you'll have a much bigger problem. im sure glad i havent dealt with ice yet this year, last year i did 300 damage to an explorer, and 3000 to the front end of my civic :/ damn chrome bumpers! it was the civil fault of the police though :) :) they had an accident pulled over on the bottom of a blind hill that was totally iced over, on the left side of the road. they closed it after i hit the explorer.