1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

My Carl Thompson Basses - pics and movie

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Charles Farley, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Carl's basses may not be for everyone, but I just love 'em. Here are my two CT basses:

4 string 32" fretted
    mahogany core and neck
    cocobolo and ebony top
    ebony fingerboard
    Kent Armstrong soapbar pickup
    EMG-EXB
    CTBody.

CTBack.

CTFull.

Carl assembling the bass
    th_CarlAssembles4String.

6 string 36" fretless
    mahogany core and neck
    striped top over padauk veneer
    ebony fingerboard
    EMG-45DC pickup
    EMG-EXB
    CTBassFront.

CTBassFlat.

CTBassHeadstock2.

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm supremely jealous :eek: :bawl:

3. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    The back of the 4 string - is that Ziricote?

4. allenhumble

allenhumble

Oct 22, 2004
    Acworth GA.
    I think its cocobolo. Very sweet basses. I know CT basses are expensive but I would bet that these basses are way up on the higher end of his price tags. Lucky B@st@rd.

5. The back of the 4 string is Bocote.

6. byoung

byoung

Mar 13, 2005
    Covington, WA
    I'm guessing so-- it isn't cocobolo.

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Not my style, but the workmanship is amazing.

Maybe I should buy one. Then I might finally be able to master "Jerry was a Racecar Driver"!

8. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    That 4 banger is cool, but it's almost like a short scale neck on a long scale body. It would be weird to have the bridge set so far into the body, no?

9. If the body was shorter, i.e., the bridge was closer to the end, then the balance would be off.

The way it is, you can put the bass on your knee, lift up your hands, and it will stay balanced in your lap (don't try this at home, as most basses will wind up falling to the ground). If the body was shorter, then there'd be neck dive.

10. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Just for argument's sake, I fail to see how moving the bridge back would create neck dive? I may be missing something here. Obviously it would necessitate shortening the entire body and not just moving the bridge back and setting the neck further in. However, moving the whole thing to the "right" should create less neck dive, right?

From my vantage point it just looks like the bridge is about where a musicman pickup would sit?

I'm not knocking it at all, just curious about how it functions.

W

11. animal52

animal52

Jul 1, 2006
    DC area
    Those are both amazing. I especially like the 6-string, it's very rainbow bass-eque.

12. Wilbyman,

By having the bridge in the middle of the body, there is enough weight to counteract the neck. If the body was cut off right after the bridge, then you'd lose this counterweight, and the neck would take over (relative neck dive due to a light body weight).

If you move the "whole thing right," well that shifts how your left hand works, as the lower frets will get too close to your body and the upper registers will be difficult to access.

The interesting thing is that you can use the same body shape for a 36" scale bass, but just move the bridge 4" away from the neck. Since Carl makes his 36" scale necks 24 fret and his 32" necks 29 frets, than the length of the neck is similar. As a consequence, one body shape works for both scale lengths (ergonomically speaking).

13. Earwigger

Earwigger I'm a Roland man now.

Aug 23, 2005
    Cleveland, Ohio
    If those sound anywhere near as good as they look, you have some of the best sounding basses I've ever seen. :)

14. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    I see what you're saying...interesting...I bet those upper frets are nicely placed as a result. As I said before, beautiful bass!

15. Carl is my favorite builder by FAR.....his work is insane....i wish I could get my parents to put my name on the list for my college grad. gift...haha.

16. mark beem

mark beem I'm alive and well. Where am I? Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    Alabama, USA
    Nice!! Love the 6 string!!

17. Rowsdower

Rowsdower

Feb 14, 2007
    Michigan
    very very nice basses, that first one..../drool

18. Very Nice....Enjoy..Enjoy...Enjoy !!!!!!:hyper:

19. UncleBalsamic

UncleBalsamic

Jul 8, 2007
    UK
    They are beautiful. Easily some the nicest Carl Thompsons I've ever seen, you are very lucky.

20. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    that six is just the sickest bass I have ever seen, the amount of detail in the trussrod cover is enough to make my pants tight..

AWESOME...

If you wouldnt mind how much did the 6 set ya back you could PM me if you dont want to say it in public.