Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

my carvin blew up!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by iamthemusicman, Jan 31, 2003.

1. i had just put in some new pickups in my bass and i plugged in and i heard 2 sparks. i unplugged it then tried it again and i saw what looked like a bunch of sparks or a small fire in the back where the fan is now i dont know what is going on i dont know if it was my crappy job of putting in the pickups or what happened its a r600 series 1 i need some help bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. It's really hard to say for sure, but if you saw fire it's bad, bad, bad. I don't think new pickups are the culprit, unless they are active and you somehow got the 9v battery directly hooked up to the input. Usually that kind of thing should be protected against by the amp design. Did the fuse blow? That would probably tell you it's a power supply problem or a power amp problem. Do any lights come on or any sound come out of it? When you plugged it in did it give a great big dying gasp or scream? Take the lid off - if it's not to hard and look for burnt stuff. I had a GK 800rb that had black goo blown all over the insides from the power amp blowing up. good luck.

If you love the amp it might be worthwhile to fix it up, but you can get used R600's for about 300, probably less. I might be willing to give you a little for yours, as a fixer-upper.

Take care, let us know what you find out.

3. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    Is it still under warranty? Carvin is usually pretty good about fixing stuff, just tell them it happened all on its own ;).

Your manual should have a replacement parts list, so if you got a soldering iron and a sucker, you could remove any burnt parts and replace them...hmm, now that I think about it...I'll give you $50 for it :D