1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

My Carvin Icon sound clips

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass Viking, Mar 22, 2006.

1. OK, these will have to do until Carvin puts some samples on their jamroom page. They're short clips but they give you an idea of the different tones available.

Here's the link: http://www.putfile.com/bassviking

The Icon features new soapbar pickups, the new 18 volt preamp and the new mid sweep.

2. Thanks for auditioning your bass. It sounds great. Congratulations on your new Icon, you lucky devil....

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Sounds great! Nice tone!

But I just don't believe you actually own this bass. Why?

No pics!

It's just vapor, bro!

:D

4. I posted them in my other Icon thread. But here they are again:

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

5. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Looks killer! I remember that thread now! (It's tough to get old!)

As if you needed another excuse to repost pics!

Congrats, and enjoy!

:bassist:

6. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I'm disapointed by the neck pickup...I prefer that thumpy vintage P sound, which isn't easy to get... the bridge isn't really MY tony either, but I'm sure it could be tweaked with minimal effort. I like the blended sound a fair deal.

7. ibz

ibz

Apr 14, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I wonder what a five string Icon might sound like...

8. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Sounds pretty good! Thanks for posting clips, I wish more people would :) (including me I guess heheheh)

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    sounds great, just like the one i tried, with very focused and clear open strings and fretted notes. maybe i should buy one...:D

10. I really wish you hadn't done that. I really dig the asthetics of the Icon and it has tone to boot! AAAHHH.....must.....pay....for....college

11. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    Out of curiosity, what brand of strings were you using?

Sounds good, definatly has a tone that i could get used to for some gigs, or at church. lol

hey, no compression tho.. definatly a good way to let us hear the real tone. Kudos. :)

12. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Interesting. I liked all the tones you had up there except the slap tone.

13. Color me extremely impressed! I clicked on the samples before looking at the photos, because I would have sworn that was a maple-fingerboarded bass*. :eek:

...at least tell me you're using steels for your strings. Please validate my ears somewhat.

I still doubt I'd purchase one based on their price range, but should I ever win the weekly $250 there's always a chance...

*Now I'm imagining one with a maple board and steel strings! :help:

14. Blues Cat

Blues Cat Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner Commercial User

May 28, 2005
    Katy, Tx
    Payson Fanned Bass Strings Owner
    Sounds great Bass Viking. Nice playing too.

15. I love sound clips too! I’d like to see a separate forum for equipment sound samples on Talkbass. The pool of gear here is very large.

16. The G, D, and A strings are stainless steel and the E is nickel, all Carvin brand. I prefer the lower tension feel of steel but for some reason the nickel E sounds better (to my ears anyway) than its steel counterpart.

I ran the bass through a Behringer mixer (with all mixer settings flat) and into my sound card. The only EQing is from the Icon’s onboard preamp so yes, it does give you an idea of the uncoloured sound. I haven’t had the bass very long and I’m still experimenting with the various tones. Since it’s pretty versatile, a bit of tweaking could probably match the sound more to someone’s personal taste. Also, I didn’t boost the mid and bass controls all the way on the recordings, as it caused distortion.

17. B-flat?

B-flat?

May 16, 2004
    Portland, TX
    Really sounds great. :)

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Wow, never heard of anybody splitting sets on their bass, must get expensive!

19. I had a set of Carvin steel strings lying around. Carvin strings are inexpensive so it's do-able.

I put a few more clips up:http://www.putfile.com/bassviking

Black-Night: both pickups

EarthWindFire: Slapped, both pickups

vspMP3: bridge pickup

20. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    Well, I would hardly call anything going through a Behringer mixer uncolored.