My Carvin rig ships tuesday!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 1, 2001.

1. I placed my order today. Carvin R600, 2x10, and 1x15. I can't wait to get this badboy here where I can make some noise. It's been a long time since I have had the pleasure to play through a 15' cab. The Fender BXR200 I used to have sounded so bad I thought 15's were of the devil.

I considered the suggestion to get the R1000 instead of the R600 but I am REALLY pushing what I can afford as it is. Besides, there is always the 10 day money back garuntee.

Do you guys with Carvin amps and cabs usually run in bi-amp mode? That seems to be a really cool feature except for the loss in power. But, if it's 250watts to each cab that ought to give me plenty of volumn without losing any tone.

I can't wait!!!!!
  2. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    Congratulations, Count! I hope it's what you're looking for.

As I've said in my earlier posts, I don't think bi-amping is that great an option for bass because of the frequency range involved. I further don't think the choice of crossover frequency is very good on the Carvin heads (starts at 200 Hz., at least in the Series II Redlines). It would be better for the frequency selector to go down to 50 Hz., as provided by some Ampeg and other heads.

I play a lot of funk (I only mention this because something about your name made me think of it) and have found that running full range works best. However, I have used the Carvin 1x18 instead of the 1x15. I encourage you to play around with the head - it could keep you occupied for days! :) I have found some settings that I like best for the range of sounds I'm after with my basses, but it took a lot of experimentation. Good luck with your new rig!

- Mike
  3. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I like to biamp mine.... I set the low gain to 3:00, the high gain to 9:00, my EQ is flat all the way. It sounds cool with all three of my basses.

Don't sweat the power, you have plenty for your cabs. Just remember to give enough to your lows. The highs are alot easier to juice.
  4. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    I have the rc210 and a 15 that I run in stereo and sounds great. The 10's will put out a lot of bass to by them self, I hardly need the 15 under it.
  5. JerryR

Jan 27, 2000
    South Carolina
    Congrats Count, hope you enjoy your Carvin rig.

I've got the 210 & 18 and I run Biamp alot of the time also.(I've olny had this thing for about a week)
    I was surprised at the output of the 10's alone.
    Read the manuals carefully, though. They can get quite confusing.
  6. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Good luck with your amp. Unfortunately I had a bad experience with the handling of the Carvin equipment I ordered.When I played the rigs at the Carvin store they sounded great .when I later ordered my R1000 4x10 and 18 they were really treated badly during shipping.The head did not sound right when I plugged it in, the frequency range dial did not work.I sent the head back and Carvin replaced it promptly. The second head came and this time the gain did not work . I was so frustrated I sent it all back. Carvin was regretful of my experience and refunded my money right away.So take your time with your new unit and make sure everything works exactly the way it should .the tech reps at carvin were very helpful to me in determining the problems I had. hope it works out dude
  7. KB

Jan 13, 2000
    Chapel Hill, NC
    I just picked up my RL610 stack today and I love it. I am a little overwelmed by all of the knobs and sound options, but they should come up to speed with time and practice. This is a huge improvement over my SWR workingmans 15. Hope you have the same good experience with yours

8. BassicRob

Mar 28, 2001
    Massapequa, NY
    I have the R600 and the 4x10 cab. Obviously I run it in full range. I am a bit disappointed in the noise gate and I'm still playing with the settings to get that EXACT tone I'm looking for on each of my basses, but otherwise it's a great amp and have had no problems with it. Future plans I have is to add a Hartke 4.5xl, just because I love the sound of the Aluminum drivers, but like I said, future plans. ( in other words, Keep dreaming :p ) Spend a day with your new toy and start playing, you could either have a lot of fun or get frustrated with all the features. (I am somewhere in the middle).

BTW, I'm just picky with my tone. Its there, but I just want to play bass :)

9. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Congrats Funk!!! I only have the Rl 4x10 but love it, I think the 2x10 and 1x15 will sound great!!! Let me know how the head sounds please, Ive been considering one of those to replace my Hartke head.
  10. AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    My purchasing experience was funky too. They sent and charged me for two RC210s even though I ordered one. They refunded the $ and paid for the shipping of the other one too so it cost any extra to fix the problem. My RC210 has a small dent in the top of it from shipping, but it doesn't hurt anything. READ THE MANUAL. It's a complicated amp until you read the manual. After that, it's real easy to work.
  11. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Another Carvin owner here - I agree with MikeyD; to me the biamp doesn't sound appreciably better than full range, unless it is miked in studio.

You'd better take cookies and candies to your neighbors before it arrives. I think you'll be surprised by the power.
  12. Keef Green

Keef Green Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2001
    Spovegas Washington
    IT director for a music retailer/dealer: Warwick, Yamaha, Ampeg, Gretch, Kala, Marshall, Orange etc..
    I just got a the r600 head and found that it everything about is great with plenty of power (with the exception of the noise gate- dont even bother with it) I have to agree with the others full range or bridged sounds far better. I have been using it with my swr goliath cab and also seperatly with an older (pre-red eye) carvin 2x10. Its a 400wt 4 ohm 2x10 and this head makes it sound unusualy big!
    good luck with your Carvin
    Ive heard of plenty of Carvin problems but the customer service seems to be very helpful - rare in this day and age
  13. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Keef - Welcome to the jungle. Have you seen the buzz at the Carvin board about the RL810. (1000W + 8x10's) ?

Apparently, some of the S. Californians have tried them out in the Carvin stores, and a couple have received theirs. From the sound of things, it apparently can cripple children knock through sheet rock.

They compare it to what used to be Carvin's largest rig, the RL1018, and say it is appreciably louder, but you have to be willing to give up some of the floor shaking. I totally believe it, but I'm not so sure they ever had the SVT experience.